cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

err 30 on 5d mk II

dimzspeed
Apprentice

I have canon 5d Mk II  ...and  suddenly  appears   Err 30  on display......anybody  can help  w' this problem,     thx

54 REPLIES 54

garphoto
Contributor

My explanation was incoorect and I am sorry. Please refer to the post below for the accurate reply.

Gar Travis, asmp, CPS, ISAP

"Talent makes the photographer...
Canon makes the photographer memorable." ~ GT©

Canon says this is caused by a "shutter malfunction":

Err 30A shutter malfunction has been detected.-Turn the power switch to <ON> to turn on the power again.
-Remove and re-install the battery.
-Use a Canon lens.
-If the instructions above do not solve the problem, please contact your nearest Canon Service Center. (*1)

(*1) Please refer the NOTE below.

Note:

If the same error keeps appearing, there may be a problem that requires service.  Please arrange a repair clicking on the following link: Request a Repair.

http://kbsupport.cusa.canon.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1011&PARTITION_ID=1&secu...

Err 30: Shutter malfunction 
Unlike Error 20, this one does point to some sort of problem with the shutter… it could be either a mechanical problem, or some sort of electronic communication error.

from: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos_error_msgs.shtml

So  i need  to send my camera to Canon ?...n  follow  all the instruction..how  to send my camera  right ?....how i  have  warranty that   my camera will be  on their hands ..?

Natursuntur
Contributor
I bought my camera from US adorama on May 2012. I shot 4.000 shots in 1,5 year and suddenly faced with Err 30 problem. Mailed adorama several times but they gave really poor support, actually no support. I went to local Canon authorized service in Turkey, they changed the shutter and requested 250 usd. After 1,5 years and 2.000 shots again the same problem and they changed the shutter 2nd time. Yesterday I tried to have a shot but again the same issue, maybe just after 3 months and 50-100 more shots. To sum up, at almost 6.000 shots, 3 new shutters failed. All the failures were at critical times like, my wifes important business photo shot, my daughters's birth and my daughter's birthday. I can not tell the frustration I expereinced. I am sure that this failure is a manufacturing problem about the 5d mark 2. I am suspicious about the camera and I will never trust even they fit the 4th new shutter. I think it is not just about the shutter, there should be another main problem. They write 150.000 - 200.000 shots for shutter, it means 600.000 shots for 3 shutters but it failed at just 6.000 shots. If you see my camera you can think that it is brand new, there is no scratch, no drops or etc. I read lot of forums about this issue but Canon does not admit it as a production default. This is my 3rd camera after 500n and elan7 e. I was a Canon loyal but not anymore. I am waiting the service report but I do not think they can offer anything different. If Canon is behind its product, it shoud change it since it is not reliable anymore. If a camera is a surprise at every important moment, why it stands for. Especially a really expensive one like 5d Mark 2 Sad

@Natursuntur wrote:
I bought my camera from US adorama on May 2012. I shot 4.000 shots in 1,5 year and suddenly faced with Err 30 problem. Mailed adorama several times but they gave really poor support, actually no support. I went to local Canon authorized service in Turkey, they changed the shutter and requested 250 usd. After 1,5 years and 2.000 shots again the same problem and they changed the shutter 2nd time. Yesterday I tried to have a shot but again the same issue, maybe just after 3 months and 50-100 more shots. To sum up, at almost 6.000 shots, 3 new shutters failed. All the failures were at critical times like, my wifes important business photo shot, my daughters's birth and my daughter's birthday. I can not tell the frustration I expereinced. I am sure that this failure is a manufacturing problem about the 5d mark 2. I am suspicious about the camera and I will never trust even they fit the 4th new shutter. I think it is not just about the shutter, there should be another main problem. They write 150.000 - 200.000 shots for shutter, it means 600.000 shots for 3 shutters but it failed at just 6.000 shots. If you see my camera you can think that it is brand new, there is no scratch, no drops or etc. I read lot of forums about this issue but Canon does not admit it as a production default. This is my 3rd camera after 500n and elan7 e. I was a Canon loyal but not anymore. I am waiting the service report but I do not think they can offer anything different. If Canon is behind its product, it shoud change it since it is not reliable anymore. If a camera is a surprise at every important moment, why it stands for. Especially a really expensive one like 5d Mark 2 Sad

Was the camera repaired by Canon, or a vendor "authorized" by Canon to make repairs?  I find extraordinary that you would experience the identical flaw and failure three times.  It almost sounds like the shutter may have never been actually replaced.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Natursuntur wrote:

The fact that you had your camera repaired in Turkey suggests that you live in the Middle East, a very challenging environment because of the prevalence of windblown sand. If sand found its way into the camera, it could make short work of the shutter mechanism. If you can't keep the sand out, which would be perfectly understandable, maybe you need to have the camera professionally cleaned more often than the one to two year interval that those of us in less hostile environments can get away with.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Why would there be more blown sand in Turkey, than say Arizona or New Mexico?

@kvbarkley wrote:

Why would there be more blown sand in Turkey, than say Arizona or New Mexico?

Did I say that there would be?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B

"Did I say that there would be?"

No sir you did not.  But the solution is simply.  Avoid changing the lens when the sand is blowing or bring along a changing bag.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements