cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eos 5d mark ii determine if opened or not for prior service

malcm
Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if there is a way to determine if an eos 5d mark ii has been opened or not for prior service repair.  I would like to know if the camera has been previously opened for service of any kind.  Would there be indicators like a colored seal on the screws or a numbering scheme on the parts in side that represent a family of parts or some other clever approach?

Regards,

malcm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If Canon repaired or serviced it, then a record from them would prove that it had been repaired at some point.  If there are obvious signs of an amateur repair attempt then you would know that an owner or incompetent third party shop has been inside.

But proving to your own satisfaction that it hasn't been repaired is impossible.  Rarely is a repaired item marked with paint or special hardware.  When I was involved with high spec electronic test equipment, I had calibration fixtures that allowed me to calibrate gear traceable to NIST standards.  When I did a repair and/or calibration on a piece of gear it got dated anti-tamper stickers over several access fasteners but that was for test gear that cost far more than a box filled with 1DX Mark III cameras.  There is neither need nor reason to do that with consumer or prosumer visual gear so without repair records you just won't know.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

I will give you the complete story when and if we come to some conclusion.  We agree that the AG's office doesn't want to get involved, though if we are correct, a state law has been violated by the repair shop.

Regards,

malcm

@Nick2020 wrote:

You can also mention the serial number on the camera, and we can check to see if we have a prior record of it in our repair database.

That's a bit of interesting information. I'd have guessed that this info wouldn't have been so readily available, or maybe not available at all. This could be handy if purchasing used equipment when the seller claims repairs were mande by Canon when in fact they had been done elsewhere.

Hi,

I like the idea of checking the Canon db to see if the camera in question, based on its internal serial number from the exif file, has ever been service by Canon.  The camera in question has an internal serial number of 11207[xxxxx].

I had verified that the substituted camera was for the US market and we had tried the "find my camera" search service and came up empty.

Thank you -

malcm

[Serial number edited to protect privacy.]

Hi danny,

Thanks for editing the serial number for privacy.

Hi Nick2020,

Given that I have not heard any more on the idea of Canon letting me know if the serial number in question had ever been worked on by Canon, I am assuming that Canon will not release that information - am I correct in that assumption?

Thanks -

malcm

Announcements