cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

download 5d mark ii firmware 2.1.2 on mac os x 10.8

PaulO
Apprentice

I have a mac with OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) and I'd like to update firmware for a 5D Mark II to rels 2.1.2 but can't find web-site.  When I look on the Canon site, it recognizes that I have 10.8 and says "There is no firmware for the OS version you selected."  

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is an error on Canon's site that I've noticed happens quite a bit.

The firmware is for the camera.  It actually has nothing to do with your computer and which OS you run doesn't really matter because you wont be installing the firmware in the computer.  They just want to know if you have Windows vs. Mac so they offer an appropriate download format.  When you pick a Mac OS they download a ".dmg" file (disk image) and on Windows it's a .zip file (although Macs can open .zip files too).

Just download the firmware update that you see for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

PaulO
Apprentice

Is my only solution to find another computer with an earlier release? 

Can't you simply "select" a different OS? You can on the Windows side because the firmware release doesn't show up with Win 8 either but it does by switching to Win7. I am not a Mac users so I don't know that it is possible.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Yes, I can select an earlier release of the OS and download that.  My concern is that it might not run properly on the newer release. My assumption is that if the firmware installation was for OS X 10.6, 10.7 and above that the writer of the software  that determined my release and displayed the message would have taken this into account .... or Canon would have updated this code to now include the more recent release of OS X.  

In any event I just found another Mac with OS X 10.7 and will install with from that machine.

Thanks.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

This is an error on Canon's site that I've noticed happens quite a bit.

The firmware is for the camera.  It actually has nothing to do with your computer and which OS you run doesn't really matter because you wont be installing the firmware in the computer.  They just want to know if you have Windows vs. Mac so they offer an appropriate download format.  When you pick a Mac OS they download a ".dmg" file (disk image) and on Windows it's a .zip file (although Macs can open .zip files too).

Just download the firmware update that you see for Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for the reply.  That is what I suspected.  It should just ask "Mac or PC".   It seemed that they went out of their way to make it confusing. 

Stephen

Hi PaulO!

Welcome to the Canon Forums, and thank you for bringing this to our attention! We've let the our IT group know about this problem so that it can be fixed for others who might be in the same situation.

Have a great day!

Announcements