cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

canon 5D mark IV

kaylabrotzman
Apprentice

I have a canon 5D Mark IV camera and I bought a canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens and it gives me err 01 and to clean the contacts. I have cleaned them multiple times but then realized that it would shoot in TV mode but not Manual mode.. Does anyone know how to make it work in manual mode? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So a used lens bought from Amazon.  Do you have a way to return it and get your money back?  If not, call Canon and look into doing a repair.

When buying used, either get them refurbished directly from Canon or reputable stores such as B&H.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Do you have any other lenses to test with?  Any errors with those other lenses?

Where did you purchase the 24-70 from?

--
Ricky

kaylabrotzman
Apprentice
No other problems with any lenses! I bought it brand new from a lady & she got it off of amazon. I tried it to make sure it worked before i bought it too

So a used lens bought from Amazon.  Do you have a way to return it and get your money back?  If not, call Canon and look into doing a repair.

When buying used, either get them refurbished directly from Canon or reputable stores such as B&H.

--
Ricky

kaylabrotzman
Apprentice
Unless the lady lets me return it for my money back is the only way to return it but i will look into it! Thank you!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I have cleaned them multiple times ..."

You should have come here first.  This rarely to never works or helps.  In fact if done worng it can do unrepairable damage to the contacts. The act of mounting and dismounting the lens is enough to keep the contacts clean.

The next course of action is based on how much did you pay for the used lens?  If you got a good price then a C&C done by Canon might be worth while.  But lens repairs can quickly eat up any savings you received by buying used. If return is not an option then the C&C is your only choice.

However, lets do a full reset of the camera first.  Go in your Menus, Tools, clear all settings and clear all custom settings. Now select P mode, Set ISO to 200 and WB to daylight. Use One shot not Ai-servo and just the center focus point. Set the lens to AF make sure it is no on MF. Go outside on a nice day and do some random shots.  Make sure there is some vertical line in the subjects.  Fence, tress, buildings, etc.  If it works, it works and you had something set wrong.

If you still get the 01 error the lens is faulty.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements