cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannon 70D sigma 150-600 sport lense

rabindra
Apprentice
I am thinking of buying sigma 150-600 sport. I have cannon 70D. I tried searching for the reviews but unfortunately couldnt find one. if someone has already used it or have any knowlede then can u tell me if it is compatible with cannon 70D? and how good or bad is it ?
9 REPLIES 9

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
It is a very heavy lens. Otherwise, it isn't a bad choice for the 70D.

For cameras that have f/8 focus like the 7D Mk II the EF 100-400 L IS II with a 1.4X TC is a better choice.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Gooling "Sigma 150-600 sport review" gets a number of hits.

One report:

"Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sports Lens sets the bar high for build quality, performance and for range of features among the 150-600mm lenses available at review time. With optical performance just a bit shy of the most elite zoom lenses, and with an incredible range of very long focal lengths available, sports and especially wildlife photographers along with many others will find this lens to be a very useful tool in their kits. This lens can bring home imagery that many others cannot."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The sport is too heavy for my use so I bought the Contemporary last spring. I use it on a 7D2 & 1D4 to shoot model aircraft & full scale aircraft. Works FANTASTIC relative to cost but the wide end is a bit too long for some of my needs because it has replaced my 100-400 L IS. If you intend to shoot from a tripod most of the time you should be very happy with the Sport but if you want to hand hold much look into the C model.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@rabindra wrote:
I am thinking of buying sigma 150-600 sport. I have cannon 70D. I tried searching for the reviews but unfortunately couldnt find one. if someone has already used it or have any knowlede then can u tell me if it is compatible with cannon 70D? and how good or bad is it ?

I have the Contemporary model.  It's pretty big and heavy, and the Sport is even more so.  When I use the 150-600, it usually means I'm carrying only one camera body and one lens, which is my one complaint about it.  When I do use it, I use it with a tripod and a lawn chair to shoot baseball and football.

Something else to consider is post-processing software.  What are you using?  Canon's DPP won't recognize any third pary lenses, so you won't be able to apply the correct lens correction with DPP.  I use Lightroom  Without lens correction, there is noticeable vignetting with the Contemporary.  I cannot say what you should expect with the Sport, but I would be surprised if it was not similar.  Once the images are corrected in Lightroom, they're near perfect.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" if someone has already used it or have any knowlede then can u tell me if it is compatible with cannon 70D?"

I not only have used it, I own it.  I love it.  It is without doubt the best of the 150-600's available.  The others are good but the "S" is just a tad better.  I have the others, too.  The Tamron and the Sigma "C" model.

The S is very heavy.  Let me repeat it is VERY heavy.  That isn't a concern for me as I regularly carry it on a 1 series along with another 1 series with a shorter zoom on it.  If you are sensitive to weight, the S is not for you.  Remember a 70D is a smaller camera than a 1 series so the balance will be toward the lens.

"...and how good or bad is it ?"

It is very good.  It is the best.  Canon is supposed to be coming out with a version of it own.  Nikon has a similar lens.  The Nikon isn't as good as the Siggy S.  We'll see about the Canon if it ever becomes a reality. Now all that said, if you want just one 150-600mm zoom, get the Tamron.  It is just slightly better than the Siggy C.  Not really enough to mention but it is.  It is weather sealed to a degree.  The Siggy C is not.

If you must have the best get the S but if it is too heavy you won't use it much.  I highly advise you, to try before you buy.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TomOosSnoopy
Apprentice

if you want a lens for longtime, id prefer a canon 100-400 mk 2 or a 150-600 sports

the weather sealing is not so important than it is also making it dustproof, and all other lenses suck dust in like a bagpipe...especially because their volume.  and after short use, the dust is in and not out...

the problem is just to afford it, but, compared to the use of a car, the environmental problem is very tiny. 

and handshooting isnt useful with these lenses anyway. 

Spoiler
i own Canaon 100-400 mk 1  sigma 50-500 APO DG HSm RF eos 5 DS electric bicycle

I didn't understand much of your post.  You realize this is a old thread?

EB

Badknee003
Contributor

How was the lens with the camera

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

This thread is 5 years old. Start your own new thread if you have questions about the 150-600mm zooms.

EB
Announcements