cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

best mic for recording opera singer on 5d Mark IV of 1Dx

swescott
Apprentice

I'm looking for feedback on the best set up to record sound on my 5d Mark IV or Idx for an opera singer who is using the recording to send out to prospective colleges. In the past I have used a lav on a stand a couple feet away from her, but I a wondering if anyone has a step-by-step breakdown of how they would set up their camera and how they would mic it.  Thanks you! 

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@swescott wrote:

I'm looking for feedback on the best set up to record sound for an opera singer who is using the recording to send out to prospective colleges. In the past I have used a lav on a stand a couple feet away from her, but I a wondering if anyone has a step-by-step breakdown of how they would set up their camera and how they would mic it.  Thanks you! 

I do not understand why you are asking this question in a photography forum.  It is an audio question.  

If you were making an audition audio recording, what equipment would you use?  That is your answer to your question.  You would probably want to use a record device that can record both the audio and video separately, one which would allow you to remix the audio as needed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@swescott wrote:

I'm looking for feedback on the best set up to record sound for an opera singer who is using the recording to send out to prospective colleges. In the past I have used a lav on a stand a couple feet away from her, but I a wondering if anyone has a step-by-step breakdown of how they would set up their camera and how they would mic it.  Thanks you! 

I do not understand why you are asking this question in a photography forum.  It is an audio question.  

If you were making an audition audio recording, what equipment would you use?  That is your answer to your question.  You would probably want to use a record device that can record both the audio and video separately, one which would allow you to remix the audio as needed.

I agree. I'd just add that there's a lot at stake in the college admission process - enough that it might be worth having the recording done professionally. That is, unless understanding of the recording methodology is part of what she's advertising, and that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I am asking because I use a Canon 5d Mark IV and a 1Dx and I thought that someone who shoots with the same camera and has experience using mics with this camera might have some valuable input on which mics they choose and how they set up their camera.  I usually use a lav to mic interview but opera can be tricky.  Yes, I could certainly hire a professional but thought I'd ask folks in this forum first.  

The mic itself, although it does need to be of high quality with a very flat response across the frequency range of interest, is just a small part of the setup.  The room, location of the performer in the room, and location of the mic with respect to the performer are all major determinants of quality.  It is much like photography where having the proper body and lens is an entry to play but the results are so dependent upon proper setup and use.

Does the audition involve any accompanying music in addition to the opera singer?  If so, and that source is live, it really needs its own mic and mixer for anything approaching professional results.  Be very careful with room effects (echo, reinforcement of sound in a small section of the frequency range) when choosing your setup because it is very easy for the room and placement of the speaker and mic to heavily color the results.

There should be some basic books online to help you with mic setup/positioning and beyond that allow time to experiment and do some test runs without time pressure to select the best setup with respect to the environment.  It is also desirable to have the ability to tailor the frequency response during your final processing to compensate for equipment and room variations but be careful because it is easy to make the same mistake so many do when "photoshopping" and go well past minor corrections thus creating a bizarre output product that bears little relationship to reality.  The final critical check of  this process should be done using a high quality set of headphones thus avoiding deficiencies in your speakers and listening room when making the final determination of whether you have adequately captured the performance.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks for your input, I appreciate your thoughtful response.  

Announcements