cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery life mk III

boristhemoggy
Enthusiast

I just bought a new 5D Mark III and it seems to hvae 3 distinct problems so far. I wondered if anyone else has had them, and if they're related in any way?

1 The (genuine Canon ) batteries don't last. One day shooting at an event almost non stop I got 950 shots. Yesterday, after 70 shots and 20 mins in the view screen changign some settings, the battery is alredy down to 38% of charge. When I go out and the camera is left on standby, (auto off after 1 minute) the batteries just seem to fade.

2 I have tried to micro adjust my 3 lenses to the camera, but micro adjust doesn't seem to have any effect at all. I've tried the 100mm macro, the 17-40 L and the 70-200 Mk II L. Adjusting right out to -20 and +20 just has no effect whatsoever on any of the lenses. I even tried with a fresh battery just in case. 
I did also try at various zoom lengths and apertures with the lenses, to no avail. 

3 The final thing is the metering is nuts. I've owned the 5D classic and Mk II and I only had to compensate when you'd expect to have to. Dark shadows, white dress etc etc. But I find I'm constantly compensating with this one and over exposing by as much as 2 and 2/3 stops to get the correct exposure. 

There's one other weird thing. When i bought this brand new it had 1021 shutter actuations on it. I didn't think too much about it at the time, assuming it might be testing or something. Has anyone else had a camera with so many shutter actuations on?

I've found a few threads where people have done a factory reset and it solved their exposure problem, it hasn't done anything for mine. 

So...I am open to ideas and grateful for any thoughts. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah, I would return it yesterday. A $3500 dollar, brand new, camera should be perfect.

The battery life is very good, as least as good as your older Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

hsbn
Whiz

If I bought a camera brand new, I expected it to be brand new, unopen. If you can return the camera, I think you should.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

Well I thought it was brand new. It appeared to be. I'm wondering if somehow it's been a faulty returned unit that's gone back o the shelf or something?

Yeah, I would return it yesterday. A $3500 dollar, brand new, camera should be perfect.

The battery life is very good, as least as good as your older Mk II.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I agree, thanks.

I never did respond to this, sorry. 
I returned the camera which it turns out had a whole host of faults, and it was replaced, and the replacement is fine. 
Thanks all for your time.

Announcements