cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

battery charge 6d

chief54
Contributor

is there any way to charge 6d batteries using portable power back or solar power charger. Going on a week long wilderness trip with no electicity thanks

9 REPLIES 9

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon does make a 12v battery charger for the LP-E6 (and LP-E6N) batteries that the 6D (and many other cameras) use.

See:  https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/car-battery-charger-cbc-e6

When I do astronomy at some star parties, I am away from power.  At this most recent total solar eclipse the only location I could find offered only "dry camping" (no power, no water).  So I brought my 100 watt solar panel which was configured to charge a portable 12v battery (I had a 28 amp hour battery tank... the sort that could be used to jump-start a car and you'll often see them sold as "jump start" batteries.)    The solar panel charged that battery and then I used that battery to recharge everything else that could be charged from a 12v power supply such as cellphones, etc.  And with the right Canon charger, you can recharge your camera batteries.

This sounds a bit different from yoru situation.  You mention "week long wilderness trip" and I'm not sure if that means you're hiking (in which case carrying large bulky things may not be realistic).  But if you can somehow charge any 12v battery source, then you can use that Canon charger for your camear batteries.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

thanks for info but i will be backpacking that is to much weight. I have a Celestron Power tank for my telescope and that charger for battery would work with Power tanks, but as I said way too much weight. Suprised that Canon does not make these chargers that come with cameras to work with small light weight power packs like i have for my Go Pro, I  guess Canon batteries use too much power

How many shots per day do you think you'll be taking and do you plan to leave the GPS on your camera swtiched on?

Canon estimates your camera can capture about 1000 shots on a single fully charged Canon battery (not 3rd party batteries).

IF you are using the GPS, or live-view, or video then it's going to eat through the battery power faster.

Also VERY important... the 6D continues to run the GPS even when the power swtich is "off" unless you specifically go into the menu system and disable the GPS. 

Depending on how many shots you take per day... you might just bring a few spare batteries with you and not worry about charging.

If you plan to use the GPS, then go into the GPS menu and change the update interval to something that updates less frequently (e.g. once per minute... or once every 2 minutes) the less frequent it has to update, the less power it will draw.  

Pull the battery out the camera when not using it to avoid any slow draw that mgiht happen overnight when you aren't using the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Spare batteries are likely the best solution from a weight / volume standpoint. Just how many photos do you expect to take & what lenses will you use? AF and IS draw some extra power every time they start up but in general a fully charged battery (you don't have a built in flash) can shoot 600 - 800 photos from my experience & still have a bit of life left.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I can get 1300+ photos, and still have over half of my battery charge remaining.  I use a battery grip.  I disable the photo preview after every shot.  I shoot mostly in One Shot mode, but I disable continue trying to fccus when the camera is lost.  I use BBF, so that the camera does not try to refocus every time I press the shutter for a bracket shot.

Oh yeah, having spare batteries is good idea, too.  Don't let them get too cold at night.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lly3988
Rising Star

I used a Dual LP E6 USB charger and a 20,000 mAh power bank. It works for me.

Dual LP E6 USB  charger.jpg

What make of power bank do you have

power bank.jpg

Actually any brand will work. I purchased mine two years ago and it is still going strong.

I can charge two batteries four times and there is still juice. This particular brand and model is a bit bulky but the price is really good. You may find better design nowaday.

Announcements