cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anybody know the name of the little rubber plug designed to keep light leak from entering eyepiece

garydillard
Apprentice

anybody know the name of the little rubber plug designed to keep light leak from entering eyepiece. It is usually found attached to the strap supplied with EOS cameras. The larger eyepiece can be removed and the smaller rubber plug is inserted into the view hole. During long exposures, it prevents light from leaking in via the eyepiece area

9 REPLIES 9

ScottyP
Authority
hi. The official name is "eyepiece cover". Page 23 of my manual.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Uh, clever name. lol. I've attempted to order one various times fromB&H and always end up with the standard eyepiece. Talked with customer service but they didn't seem to know what I was talking about. I wish canon would make an eyepiece with an open closed switch. I would buy that. Thanks for your help Scotty 🙂

I don't think its available separately, but it comes with the strap. Under $9 at Amazon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

" I wish canon would make an eyepiece with an open closed switch. I would buy that."

They do! Smiley Happy  Its on any of the 1D ___ series cameras.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
I've found that the cap from the lens mount works nicely. I keep a spare lens and body cap in my bag anyway.

amfoto1
Authority

@garydillard wrote:

anybody know the name of the little rubber plug designed to keep light leak from entering eyepiece. It is usually found attached to the strap supplied with EOS cameras. The larger eyepiece can be removed and the smaller rubber plug is inserted into the view hole. During long exposures, it prevents light from leaking in via the eyepiece area

It's called... YOUR THUMB! (That works just as well as the rubber piece. Maybe even better, since you don't need to remove the eyecup first.)

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

amfoto1, obviously you don't do long exposure work. Try holding your thumb over the eyepiece for 5 minutes. Not to mention what it does to the steadiness of the camera.

IMG_0015.JPG

Body cap fits snuggly on my 6D without removing the rubber eyecup.
IMG_0018.JPG

Lens cap fits snuggly over the rubber eye cup of my 7D.

@garydillard wrote:
amfoto1, obviously you don't do long exposure work. Try holding your thumb over the eyepiece for 5 minutes. Not to mention what it does to the steadiness of the camera.

Are you using an auto exposure mode when making a 5 minute exposure?

If using M or B mode, you really shouldn't need to cover the eyepiece. The mirror is flipped up against a light seal during exposure, blocking light from entering and reaching the sensor through the open shutter.

You really only need to cover the eyepiece when using one of the auto exposure modes (Tv, Av, or P), because the metering can be skewed by light entering the pentaprism via the eyepiece (when your eye isn't blocking the eyepiece). I believe the longest exposure possible on most Canon cameras using the AE modes is 30 seconds.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements