cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zeiss ZE with IBIS on R5

Cunha
Rising Star

Hello friends,

has anyone tested the IBIS on the R5 .-) but with only manual focusing lenses?
My EOS R has already represented an excellent step for my Zeiss ZE with Focus Guide and Peaking. Much easier than with all the 5D series DSRL I had.
Now with IBIS it must be a wonder to manually focus my 4 Zeiss ZE lenses ,-) again.
(with the EF>RF adapter)

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No, I have not used a manual focusing lens on the R5, or just used an R5 for that matter.  But, I can tell you one thing about how the IBIS works in the R5, as per Rudy Winston's video clip during the actual rollout.

The IBIS system will offer 5-axis stabilization with Canon RF mount lenses.  However, when you use Canon EF lenses the IBIS system will not offer the same 5-axis stabilization as with native RF mount lenses.  It will be degraded to a 2-axis mode that is.similar to the IS modes found on Canon L Series telephoto lenses. 

Canon telephoto lenses can have up to three IS modes, each of which compensate for a different type of camera motion.  I will probably get this wrong, but here goes off the top of my head.  The modes differ by which axis of motion they compensate for.

The IS mode 1 is the conventional IS found in many lenses.  This mode compensates for camera motion, This mode compensates for motion where the axis of motion is measured in polar coordinates, instead of the more familiar XYZ Cartesian coordinates.  The camera is the center of motion, just like it would be on a gimbal mount.  The camera can move at angles up and down, or left and right.  The rotational axis is assumed to be the image sensor.

The IS Mode 2 compensates for panning shots.  IS Mode 2 functions similar to IS Mode 1, except it will ignore left and right camera motion when you are panning horizontally.  This behavior presents a more stable image in the viewfinder, as well as stabilized images to the AF system, when you are tracking subjects.  It is ideal for handheld use.

The 3rd IS Mode works just like Mode 2, with one major difference.  It only operates when the camera is taking photos.  This mode not only saves power, but it is ideal for shooting from a tripod with a gimbal head.

According to Rudy Winston, the R5 IBIS system will operate in Mode 2 with EF lenses.  Most EF lenses have IS the operates similar to IS Mode 1, anyway.  The IBIS system with EF lenses operates in the  panning stabilization mode, IS Mode 2.

Now, how that behavior with EOS lenses translates to a fully manual lens, I cannot say.  I would expect it to provide IS similar to IS Mode 2, anyway.  At the very least, I would expect it to offer IS Mode 1.  I have yet to see a fully manual lens that offered any sort of image stabilization.  If there is no electronic connection to the camera, where would the lens get power for IS?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks a lot for your explanation. Very good.

Two things:

1. The Zeiss ZE lenses are for Canon EF with fully electric contacts like a Canon EF lens. Just, no AF. 

2. Where can I find Rudy Winston video; if possible, the link .-)

Thanks again.

@Cunha wrote:

Thanks a lot for your explanation. Very good.

Two things:

1. The Zeiss ZE lenses are for Canon EF with fully electric contacts like a Canon EF lens. Just, no AF. 

2. Where can I find Rudy Winston video; if possible, the link .-)

Thanks again.

Here is a link to the rollout video for the R5/R6.  

https://youtu.be/0TdAeXzHiAs 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks .-)

EngineerKyle
Contributor

Hello, Cunha!

IBIS on manual focus lenses can in some cases yeild better results because you can fine tune the amount of stabilization you want by messing with the focal length you tell the camera. 

The problem with the fully electronic lenses like those is that the tell the camera the focal length and don;t allow you to fine tune. That being said, the IBIS will still be exceptional beyond approximately 26mm, any wider, and you will probably see the infamous corner wobble. 

But it works wonderfully on longer focal lengths, and the electronic communication will allow you to swap lenses without having to change IBIS settings! 

Announcements