cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X type spots, on the sensor?

emipuscas
Apprentice

Spot 5 - Zoom 0.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 1.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 2.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 3a.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 3b.jpg

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my EOS 6D, beside some spots on the sensor, the ones that give dar areas on the image, of diffrent sizes, I have several X type dots, like the two attached and am very curious if you ever saw anything like it.

I will get my sensor cleaned at a professional center but from my logic these look like things that don't get solved by a cleaning procedure, and are rather some electronic faults.

I have some pixels that are turned on on some specific colours, like blue or purple, but these X pixels are something I never saw before.

So, if you know, please tell me if there is another sollution, other than replacing the sensor - wich might not be worth the money for this camera.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ray-uk
Whiz

As has been stated these are hot, dead or stuck pixels. The centre of the mark is the pixel with a problem, the reason they look star shaped is because during the conversion to JPG the software is trying (and failing) to average out the effect by adusting the brightness of the surrounding pixels. If you shoot in raw then you will see they are just a single pixel and not a cross.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

The 6D is a nice camera.  I would advise you to pass on the “professional cleaning center.”  I would only let Canon check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

tmc784
Enthusiast

Yeah, let the pro check and clean.

What ISO were you shooting at? How long was the exposure?

Those are called "hot pixels" and are quite common with most cameras when shooting at high ISO or long exposures. (sensor gets hot)

Cleaning  your camera won't get rid of them. Some people say you can get rid of them by taking the lens off, and doing a manual sensor clean for about 30-60 seconds with the body cap on. 

Mike Sowsun

Hi. The ISO of the affected shots varries between 1000 and 5000, but the problem is the same.

The answer that I accepted as sollution said that that is a center pixel, but in jpg conversion it tryes to solve it out, and as a result I have the X marks on the photo.

I will get the sensor cleaned, for some other dirt spots, and will keep solving these in post, until I get another camera.

I have another identical 6D, a rather younger sibling, and that one has no such issues 🙂 - this is my backup camera.

Thank you, and thank all for the help.

@emipuscas wrote:

Hi. The ISO of the affected shots varries between 1000 and 5000, but the problem is the same.

The answer that I accepted as sollution said that that is a center pixel, but in jpg conversion it tryes to solve it out, and as a result I have the X marks on the photo.

I will get the sensor cleaned, for some other dirt spots, and will keep solving these in post, until I get another camera.

I have another identical 6D, a rather younger sibling, and that one has no such issues 🙂 - this is my backup camera.

Thank you, and thank all for the help.

Easy to check in RawTherapee. Just open the raw file in RawTherapee and choose None as demosaicing method. Or just upload the raw file...

govindvkumar
Apprentice

This looks like a interconnecting cable issue. Tou cacn get it to the service centre and get repaired.

Nature and Wildlife Photographer, who loves to travel a lot. I share my photography tips , post-processing tips, camera and equipment reviews through my website Photography Axis

Peter
Authority
Authority

@emipuscas wrote:

Spot 5 - Zoom 0.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 1.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 2.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 3a.jpgSpot 5 - Zoom 3b.jpg

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my EOS 6D, beside some spots on the sensor, the ones that give dar areas on the image, of diffrent sizes, I have several X type dots, like the two attached and am very curious if you ever saw anything like it.

I will get my sensor cleaned at a professional center but from my logic these look like things that don't get solved by a cleaning procedure, and are rather some electronic faults.

I have some pixels that are turned on on some specific colours, like blue or purple, but these X pixels are something I never saw before.

So, if you know, please tell me if there is another sollution, other than replacing the sensor - wich might not be worth the money for this camera.

Thanks in advance.

Those are dead, hot or stuck pixels and easy, if you shoot in raw, to fix in post.

Ray-uk
Whiz

As has been stated these are hot, dead or stuck pixels. The centre of the mark is the pixel with a problem, the reason they look star shaped is because during the conversion to JPG the software is trying (and failing) to average out the effect by adusting the brightness of the surrounding pixels. If you shoot in raw then you will see they are just a single pixel and not a cross.

I am not sure about that, it could also be a de-mosaicing artifact.

Announcements