cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Date in EXIF despite correct in camera

Boyce
Contributor

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to ask this.

Have 80D not quite 2 years old.

When I turn on the camera or insert SD card the set date time appears on the screen.

It shows 01/01/2016 for the date and zeros in the time.  When I check camera settings the correct date is stored in the camera.  If I take pictures without resetting the date, even though the date is showing as correct in camera settings, the EXIF data shows the date the picture was taken as 01/01/2000.  If I reset the date when the screen appears after turning the camera on, the EXIF date on the picture is then correct. When the camera 'sleeps' it stays correct.  Only when powering off then back on or taking SD card out, then back in do I have a correct date issue.

This seems to have occurred after using the camera connect app for some remote shots everything was fine before that.

Have reset camera settings in the camera settings menu. Have even updated firmware to current version even though it was already uptodate. Had battery out. swapped SD card, discconected wifi from phone, but still having issue.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22

Ray-uk
Whiz

Your camera should retain the date you have set even if the battery is removed for a week, if it is not doing this then it suggests that the camera may be faulty.

I don't know about the camera connect app but is it possible that you have an option in that to sync the cameras time with the external devive that you are connecting to.

@Ray-uk wrote:

Your camera should retain the date you have set even if the battery is removed for a week, if it is not doing this then it suggests that the camera may be faulty.

I don't know about the camera connect app but is it possible that you have an option in that to sync the cameras time with the external devive that you are connecting to.

The camera is keeping the correct date and time in the camera settings. Left external battery out overnight and reinserted this morning. Turned on and first thing on screen was to enter current date. Ignored this and went to camera settings and checked date and time.  They were both correct.

Didn't update date/time (camera says they are correct in settings)Took one picture and checked EXIF.  EXIF showed date/time 01/012000 00:05:50 even though camera settings show date as 02/28/2019 with correct time. Turned camera back first thing that came up was enter date. This time I did enter correct date (even though it's already correct in camera settings). Took picture and checked that EXIF. Date and time were correct..

Your camera is not working correctly. You need to call Canon support and decide whether it is worth a repair.

Long Shot:

Have you ever had a GPS-E2 attached?

You might have set it to reset the clock based on that and if it is not currently attached, might be getting confused.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Long Shot:

Have you ever had a GPS-E2 attached?

You might have set it to reset the clock based on that and if it is not currently attached, might be getting confused.

No GPS-E2 attached.  I am wondering if there's a glitch from wireless connection to smartphone.  Only used the feature twice. Once when I first bought the camera back in 2017 and no problem then. Then used a couple of days ago.

I'd used the/camera smartphone connection (via wireless) to take about a dozen shots.  Noticed EXIF date stamp was wrong on pictures. Went to check camera. On power up, the enter date/time pops up. Thought OK do it and those shots had correct date/time. Turned off and then back on and got the enter date again. This time pressed cancel and went to settings and the date and time is correct, but taking pictures without entering date each time on power up results in the date being 01/01/2001 and the time 00:05:50 (or however long it took me to take pictures after ignoring enter date).

I see there's a "reflect the date/time of this smartphone" option in camera settings in the app on the phone. I'm wondering if there's a conflict with camera that's causing my problem. Also thought if this was a known issue and if there was a fix maybe find it here, but I'm guessing I'm 'lucky' and either it's rare or I'm first to experience this.

Clear all camera settings hasn't had an affect, nor  firmware 'reboot', disconecting wifi and phone hasn't worked either.

I'm guessing do I repair it, or put up with entering date/time each time I power the camera on?

I do have extended warranty with vendor (Amazon) that I purchased camera from so getting a replacement shouldn't be an issue. Just thought there might be an easy fix.

"I do have extended warranty with vendor (Amazon) that I purchased camera from so getting a replacement shouldn't be an issue."

OK, I would bet you this is the problem.  Never buy any camera gear batteries, SD cards or anything from Amazon.  The likelihood you got a new working camera is 50/50. No better. If you can return it, do so immediately and buy it from a known good retailer like B&H, Adorama, Roberts or Best Buy, etc. even a local photography store.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"I do have extended warranty with vendor (Amazon) that I purchased camera from so getting a replacement shouldn't be an issue."

OK, I would bet you this is the problem.  Never buy any camera gear batteries, SD cards or anything from Amazon.  The likelihood you got a new working camera is 50/50. No better. If you can return it, do so immediately and buy it from a known good retailer like B&H, Adorama, Roberts or Best Buy, etc. even a local photography store.

I've had the camera since August 2017 along with batteries (spare came from Canon themselves). Not had a problem until now,  which is 18 months after purchase and with a (I would say) a good amount of use.  I've been very happy with the camera with no problems until now. Camera is also registered with Canon so I'm pretty sure a legit item.

Although bought through Amazon and their website the camera was actually supplied by "Digital Goja" an authorized  Canon dealer

"Although bought through Amazon and their website the camera was actually supplied by "Digital Goja" an authorized  Canon dealer"

I don't know a thing about that store, could be top notch, but I still firmly recommend you don't buy any camera gear from an Amazon site. If you like that store go directly to their web site. Now you need to do as you see fit but I think some of the other regulars here will say the same thing. A 50/50 chance!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

From what I've read/heard even reputable online dealers and even brick and mortar stores can unknowingly have counterfeit or used items. Not sure how that happens, maybe how they source their inventory but it's not unheard off I believe.

A good indicator of dubious sellers would be 'too good to be true prices' cheap knock offs at what I call 'reel 'em in prices'

I guess to be 100% sure you should only go to/buy from the manufacturer direct but that tends to be a more expensive route and which is why there are third party sellers. Now if I'd bought the camera from a Chinese/Russian/South American site at a rock bottom price I might be more inclined to agree.

I did my research before the purchase as caution is always a wise path, but to infer my problem is in someway 'self inflicted' by a poor purchase choice is somewhat irksome and a stretch.

I certainly believe there's a glitch somewhere in my particular camera.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements