cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong Date in EXIF despite correct in camera

Boyce
Contributor

Hi,

Hope this is the right place to ask this.

Have 80D not quite 2 years old.

When I turn on the camera or insert SD card the set date time appears on the screen.

It shows 01/01/2016 for the date and zeros in the time.  When I check camera settings the correct date is stored in the camera.  If I take pictures without resetting the date, even though the date is showing as correct in camera settings, the EXIF data shows the date the picture was taken as 01/01/2000.  If I reset the date when the screen appears after turning the camera on, the EXIF date on the picture is then correct. When the camera 'sleeps' it stays correct.  Only when powering off then back on or taking SD card out, then back in do I have a correct date issue.

This seems to have occurred after using the camera connect app for some remote shots everything was fine before that.

Have reset camera settings in the camera settings menu. Have even updated firmware to current version even though it was already uptodate. Had battery out. swapped SD card, discconected wifi from phone, but still having issue.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

22 REPLIES 22

@Boyce wrote:

...I see there's a "reflect the date/time of this smartphone" option in camera settings in the app on the phone. I'm wondering if there's a conflict with camera that's causing my problem.

Assuming you still have the phone, have you tried disabling this feature or un-installing the app?

Yes. Cleared all wireless settings on camera, and tried disable/changing feature on phone. And yes, it's the Canon app too not a third party.

Tried un-install of app on phone and re-install. Reconnected everything, still having problem.

Perhaps using a different phone? Don't see it would make a difference but I might try it.

@Boyce wrote:

The camera is keeping the correct date and time in the camera settings. Left external battery out overnight and reinserted this morning. Turned on and first thing on screen was to enter current date.

It should only ask you to enter current date either when it is new, when it has been restored to factory defaults or if internal memory has been cleared because of failure of internal backup battery/capacitor.

It should not ask you every time you power up.

@Ray-uk wrote:

@Boyce wrote:

The camera is keeping the correct date and time in the camera settings. Left external battery out overnight and reinserted this morning. Turned on and first thing on screen was to enter current date.

It should only ask you to enter current date either when it is new, when it has been restored to factory defaults or if internal memory has been cleared because of failure of internal backup battery/capacitor.

It should not ask you every time you power up.

You're absolutely correct. That's why I know there's a problem. Is restoring the camera to factory defaults done by selecting "Clear all camera settings"? I've tried that, but when I go to "set up2" in the settings menu the date still shows the correct date/time. Should't that have been 'reset'? When I select date/time (when it shows correct) from screen the enter date option appears with 01/01/2016 00:00:00.  It shows correct time zone though (Los Angeles)

@Boyce wrote:

You're absolutely correct. That's why I know there's a problem. Is restoring the camera to factory defaults done by selecting "Clear all camera settings"? I've tried that, but when I go to "set up2" in the settings menu the date still shows the correct date/time.

The "clear camera settings" only restores the settings that the user has changed, not the time. What you need is a hard reset, in earlier models this was done by removing the secondary backup battery. The 80D does not have a user accessible backup battery, what it does have is a backup capacitor.

I have read that this can be cleared by removing the main battery, memory card and lens then turn the camera on and hold the shutter button button down for at least 30 secs (I have never tried this myself), failing that take the main battery out and leave the camera for a long time (the reported time varies between 36 hours and 3 weeks !) If you do succeed with the first method be sure to let us know.

@Ray-uk wrote:

@Boyce wrote:

You're absolutely correct. That's why I know there's a problem. Is restoring the camera to factory defaults done by selecting "Clear all camera settings"? I've tried that, but when I go to "set up2" in the settings menu the date still shows the correct date/time.

The "clear camera settings" only restores the settings that the user has changed, not the time. What you need is a hard reset, in earlier models this was done by removing the secondary backup battery. The 80D does not have a user accessible backup battery, what it does have is a backup capacitor.

I have read that this can be cleared by removing the main battery, memory card and lens then turn the camera on and hold the shutter button button down for at least 30 secs (I have never tried this myself), failing that take the main battery out and leave the camera for a long time (the reported time varies between 36 hours and 3 weeks !) If you do succeed with the first method be sure to let us know.

Interesting, I will give it a try and let you know what success level I get. Otherwise it's going to repair under the extended warranty. 

I have an old Rebel XSi that wasmy  first DSLR. Had it for about 9 years and had stored it away with out the battery in it over a year ago. Charged up the battery last night and popped it back in that old camera.  Thought I'd have to enter update on the date/time for that, but It still showed correct date/time in the camera!

@Ray-uk wrote:

@Boyce wrote:

I'm afraid the 30 second holding camera button procedure you suggested did not work.  Tried several times.

You might try to re-install the firmware if there has been a firwware update for the camera.

"I certainly believe there's a glitch somewhere in my particular camera."

I do too ... now, so the solution is to contact Canon 1 (800) 652-2666 for service.  BTW, reinstalling the FW won't fix it either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

@Boyce wrote:

...When I turn on the camera or insert SD card the set date time appears on the screen.

Only when powering off then back on or taking SD card out, then back in do I have a correct date issue.

You mention turning the camera on and inserting the SD card as if they were two seperate procedures. Are you by chance removing and/or inserting the SD card while the camera is powered up? Have you ever formatted the SD card in the camera?

Announcements