cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would 7D Mark 2 Will be the Next Camera?

ClayStevens
Contributor

7D Mark 2 or any others?

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Maybe?  Smiley Wink

IMHO, the current 7D is a best buy. For the price you get some very nice capable features and a nearly pro-level body.

The Canon EOS 7D along with the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 EX DC OS APO HSM is a fantastic duo and still at a very affordable price point.

Just saying.................

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon is historically secretive about their product plans.  There are only rumors.

Everyone seems to thinks it makes logical sense that they update this camera next since they just announced the new Rebels and a while before that they announced the new mid-level/pro-sumer 70D.  Pro bodies tend to have a longer product cycle and it's probably too soon to expect a new 1D or 5D body.

That pretty much leaves the 7D.  

But when is anybodies' guess.  I've heard everything from "no way it'll release before next year" to "it'll definitely release this quarter" (so that really narrows it down.)  😉

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

amfoto1
Authority

Actually I'm expecting two cameras...

7D Mark II and 1DXs.

7DII is just a very logical upgrade. 4.5 year old model now, though the original 7D is still quite capable it's the oldest model in the current line-up.

What's missing from Canon's line-up is an ultra high MP full frame model.... Other manufacturers have and are selling 36MP models. The 1DX is a fine camera, but doesn't fill the same roll and, frankly, I'm surprised Canon hasn't replaced the 1Ds III yet.

But, these are just guesses.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

I'm afraid the upgrade of 1DXs needs more time. Someone on Canon rumors said that 7D's upgradtion would be announced in a short time, but the level is CR1, which is unbelieveable. Maybe we can expect it later this year?

"I'm surprised Canon hasn't replaced the 1Ds III yet."

I am surprised you are surprised! Of course I have no way of knowing one way or the other but the 1 D(?) III line is done. IMHO, as always.

There will be no replacement. Unless you consider a 22+ MP sensor 1D X as it's replacement.

Even the 1.3 format is likely done. No more! One reason I believe the 1D Mk IV remains in demand and prices high.

Do you have reason to believe there is a new 1Ds Mk III in the works?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I realize that the 1D line is done. And the 1Ds. According to Canon, they've been "consolidated" into the 18MP 1DX, which is a fine camera.

But, yes, I'm still quite surpised that there isn't yet a 36MP (or more) 1DXs. Two reasons: Nikon D800, Sony A7R... both full frame, 36MP cameras.

Not that I'm, personally in the market for such an ultra high MP camera. I'm keeping a closer eye on what's happening with lenses. I suspect we'll see some more interesting primes soon: I sort of expect to see a 50/1.4 IS USM (finally! tho some say 50/1.8, but that doesn't make any marketing sense to me), 85/1.8 or 85/2 IS USM. I'm already planning to get the 24/2.8 IS USM and 35/2 IS USM that were announced last year. Also expecting TS-E 45mm Mk II and TS-E 90mm Mk II.    

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

The D800 and A7R are not appropriate for sports photography... the 1D X is.

The D800 and A7R both have a top burst speed of between 4 and 6 frames per second.  

Also keep in mind... not everyone is nuts about these high res sensors.  There are laws of physics which govern the REAL maximum resolution you can have (regardless of glass or sensor technology -- you cannot get around these limits).  These are established by diffraction limits based on the wave nature of light.  

The D800 is a 36MP camera at or below f/5.6.  It is not diffration limited.  If you shoot at f/8 it starts to become diffraction limited, but the Airy disk is only slightly overlapping onto adjacent pixels.  By f/11 it is fully diffraction limited -- the overlap of the Airy disk is substantial.  The camera will record 36MP files at any f-stop... but it's not possible to separate detail between adjacent pixels at full resolution anymore.

Keep in mind... diffraction is based on laws of physics.  Lens quality, camera quality, sensor quality, are not able to bypass these no more than we can violate the speed of light or ignore gravity.  The math for the calculations assume "perfect" optics (optical flaws are not considered.)

Light does not focus to a point.  Due to the wave nature of light, it focuses to something called an "Airy Disk" as described in papers by astronomy George Airy back in 1835. 

In order to not be diffraction limited, the physical size of the Airy disk has to be smaller then the physcal size of a single pixel (usually measured in microns).  

This implies that as the Airy disk gets larger (something you cannot do anything about -- that's a law of physics) you would need a larger "pixel" (something you can control).  But if you increase the size of the individual pixels but do not increase the total sensor real-estate, then the maximum number of pixels that will fit on the sensor will be smaller.  You'd have to physically make a bigger sensor with bigger photosites in order to avoid the problem.

This means that if you REALLY want a high-resolution sensor, you have to go to a physically larger sensor format such as a medium format camera (like a Hasselblad -- but those are very expensive.)

You can read more about diffraction

here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction

and here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airy_disk

But I think on of the more applicable treatments is here:  http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

And that's why I've never been obsessed with extremely high res sensors.  My "other" hobby is astronomy...  so this is a problem we encounter regularly.  It's the reason I can't just stick a really high power eyepiece in a small telescope and see objects in equisite detail.  If you want more detail, you need a MUCH MUCH MUCH larger telescope (which is why astronomers are obsessed with building these massive telescopes.)

Related to this, is something called Dawes' Limit.  This says that in addition to the diffraction limits, there's also a limit on how much detail that can be resolved based on the physical diameter of the lens.  

I don't want to mislead... it's not that high res sensors are not useful... they are.  But only if you shoot at low focal ratios where diffraction isn't a problem.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I love my 7D/24-70 2.8L combo.  Been using it since 2009.  Just now becoming very comfortable with it.  The only new technology that I envy is the touch screen stuff where you can tell the camera where to focus.   That makes for some wonderful creativity.  

Taking a picture means you have stolen that moment from God, and it's yours to own forever.  God cannot take you back to that moment, but your picture can.  How special is that?  Enough so that I believe in God.

greg

There is no doubt the touch screen will be added if the Mark 2 is announced, and maybe some others pleasant surprises.

Announcements