cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workhorse 5D Mark III needs some small repairs, looking for advice

DO_NOT_PRESS_6
Apprentice

I have a 5D Mark III I bought in 2013. I've had a great time with it and it's held up to a lot of travel.

After the most recent trip, some issues are manifesting that I'd like to get fixed. These things are:

- Mode dial cover missing (fell off while horseback riding with the camera in a blackrapid sling)

- Thumb stick seems to stick (ha ha) and generally not function reliably

- Thumb wheel has a 'dead spot' where it turns poorly if pressure is applied there; I assume it's a worn bearing

- Some dust in the viewfinder and focusing screen

It sounds like I can order a replacement mode dial cover, and I could probably find some way to blow the gunk out of the viewfinder, but I daren't mess with the focusing screen and the thumb stick/wheel issues almost certainly involve opening up the camera.

I can't teel if I'm best off sending the camera to Canon for  the 'maintenance' package or if I should request other specific service. None of these things really stop it from being possible to take photos, but they can slow me down and be frustrating.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

You should send your camera in to Canon, and only Canon.  They will want to fix all of the issues, so let them do it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666

EB

Tim
Authority

Hello, 

We're sorry to hear that you'r;e having difficulty with the 5D Mark III.  We recommend setting up service through the Canon web site at your earliest convenience and let our service staff have a look.  

www.usa.canon.com/repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I just wanted reply and comment about what a great experience the repair was. I mailed the package on a Monday and the camera was returned on the following Saturday!

The issues were fixed and the camera cleaned, and there was close communication with the repair staff all the while.

Great job, Canon and the repair team!

*The only minor annoyance is that my custom settings were all reset, which has led to some work getting the camera to behave the way I expect.

Canon service really is excellent.  The only downside is it makes dealing with so many other places even more horrible by comparison.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

Canon service really is excellent.  The only downside is it makes dealing with so many other places even more horrible by comparison.

Rodger

Yeah, but add me to the list of those who wish they hadn't closed their Jamesburg shop - especially now that I own a house within driving distance of Jamesburg. I can still drop stuff off at their other facility in the Jersey Meadows near NYC; but when I stop making regular trips to Boston, that will become a serious inconvenience.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

Just look at it as an opportunity for a photographic road trip 🙂

I know what you mean about the inconvenience when facilities are closed and it has happened with a lot of service facilities I used in the past.  But none were as worrisome as my bank when I was getting a PhD in Texas in the late 1980s during interesting financial times.  I didn't often visit the actual bank building but one day I needed to deposit a large check and when I drove up there was a vacant lot with no sign where my bank used to be.  They moved but didn't do a good job of notifying their customers. I was momentarily afraid the bank had simply gone under.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

"Canon service really is excellent.  The only downside is it makes dealing with so many other places even more horrible by comparison."

+1 Smiley Happy

EB

Well, I think this explains my surprise at how great it was. I felt like royalty, and it was nice.

Announcements