cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows thinks my camera is a headset - usb problems

Maestrorr
Apprentice

My computer thinks my 7d is a Logitech Headphone.  I've tried uninstalling all the usb drivers, but windows 7 (64 bit) keeps reinstalling drivers for the headphone instead of the camera.  It used to work fine, now all of  a sudden, this. 

3 REPLIES 3

Crista
Whiz

Hi Maestrorr!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what model camera you own. That way, community will be able to assist you with suggestions appropriate for your product.

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

Hi Crista,

The poster indicated that they have a 7D.

But I think this is likely a problem with the computer.

A usb device (ignoring whether it's a camera, headset, or anything else) reports two numerical values to identify themselves.... 

They report the "Vendor ID" as the "Product ID".  

For example, if I connect one of my camera bodies (I don't happen to own a 7D, so I've connected my 5D II) to my computer (which happens to be a Mac) and inspet the list of attached hardware, my computer reports that it seems a "Canon Digital Camera" -- but more importantly, it reports that it sees a device with:

Vendor ID:  0x04a9 (Canon, Inc.)

Product ID:  0x3199

For your 7D, the "Vendor ID" code would likely be the same but your "Product ID" code would certainly be different.

The operating system on your computer (in your case, Windows) probes the USB device for these two codes to decide what it needs to do to communicate to that device (that's the "device driver").  

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that your Canon 7D is actually reporting a "Vendor ID" belonging to Logitech and a Product ID that describes a USB headset (especially if you happen to own this Logitech headset and it's been connected to that particular computer before.)

What seems more likely is that Windows has a database of devices and has, for some reason, managed to get confused as to which driver belongs to that device.  This seems more like a Windows filesystem corrupting the registry or perhaps another file.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Hi Crista,

The poster indicated that they have a 7D.

But I think this is likely a problem with the computer.

A usb device (ignoring whether it's a camera, headset, or anything else) reports two numerical values to identify themselves.... 

They report the "Vendor ID" as the "Product ID".  

For example, if I connect one of my camera bodies (I don't happen to own a 7D, so I've connected my 5D II) to my computer (which happens to be a Mac) and inspet the list of attached hardware, my computer reports that it seems a "Canon Digital Camera" -- but more importantly, it reports that it sees a device with:

Vendor ID:  0x04a9 (Canon, Inc.)

Product ID:  0x3199

For your 7D, the "Vendor ID" code would likely be the same but your "Product ID" code would certainly be different.

The operating system on your computer (in your case, Windows) probes the USB device for these two codes to decide what it needs to do to communicate to that device (that's the "device driver").  

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that your Canon 7D is actually reporting a "Vendor ID" belonging to Logitech and a Product ID that describes a USB headset (especially if you happen to own this Logitech headset and it's been connected to that particular computer before.)

What seems more likely is that Windows has a database of devices and has, for some reason, managed to get confused as to which driver belongs to that device.  This seems more like a Windows filesystem corrupting the registry or perhaps another file.

It's the kind of thing that could happen if a hex code got inadvertently entered as decimal.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements