cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 not recognizing Canon EOS M50

vicdraz
Apprentice

Hello - 

I have been troubleshooting for hours and now asking for help here.

I am trying to use my Windows 10 laptop as a screen for my Canon EOS M50. I have downloaded the EOS Utility, but the computer does not recognize that the camera is plugged in. I am using a microUSB tro USB3.1 cable. I have tried many cables. I have tried disconnecting wifi and bluetooth on the camera, on the computer, and on both. I have tried with and without an SD card in the camera.

I am running Windows 10 Professional on a Lenovo Thinkpad T580. I have the latest update. I have tried both USB ports of the laptop. 

The Canon EOS M50 is recognizing that it is plugged in, because it gives me a BUSY signal when I try to press the Menu or Playback buttons. When I run EOS Utility 2 or 3, it opens, but says "please connect the camera" even though it is connected.

(I have tried to plug it in to my Mac Mini and had the same issues).

I'm not sure what else to try, please let me know how to proceed. Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Try a different cable, if you can.  I have never heard of that error message before.  It must be new.  You might want to try removing and reinstalling the EOS Utility, too.  Your camera needs EOS Utility 3.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for the reply. You've never heard of the camera registering a connection but nothing on the computer side before?

I'll try an expensive USB cable when I can get one I guess

Make sure your Windows is updated.  Uninstall and re-install the EOS Utility.  Just make sure your cable is good. 

BTW, I said I have never heard of that message before, not I had never heard of communication errors or failures.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jasmynn
Contributor

So, I've tried everything under the sun!  All the suggestions, even updated the firmware and tried 3 different EOS Software versions. After trying several chargers, I found a really thick one and voila!!! It connected. I had already tried 6 different chargers. So at the end of the day, it does take a specific type of charger I don't know what  the difference is accept its a very thick cable and the others were regular cables that would come with a phone. 

Announcements