cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 disconnects

mwsasser
Apprentice

Has anyone solved the problem with Windows 10 disconnecting your camera?  I have a 60D and when downloading, the EOS utility will report that the camera has been disconnected.  It's pretty frustrating.  

I have checked the camera in device manager, the option to turn off the usb port is disabled.  So I'm puzzled.  

This camera doesn't have wifi.  Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Win 10 is not ready for prime time.  The latest update so screwed up my computer I had to do a restore to a know working period. I turned automatic  update off.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@mwsasser wrote:

Has anyone solved the problem with Windows 10 disconnecting your camera?  I have a 60D and when downloading, the EOS utility will report that the camera has been disconnected.  It's pretty frustrating.  

I have checked the camera in device manager, the option to turn off the usb port is disabled.  So I'm puzzled.  

I suggest that you run a thorough virus scan.  In recent weeks, there has been a host of web-bot viruses circulating, looking to consume resources wherever they can be found.

Do you have ever hear Windows 10 "sing", make a thumping, humming set of notes?  Win10 makes that noise when it disconnects and idle device, and again when the device wakes back up.  A good example of this is when a screen saver kicks in, and you may hear the bippity-boppity-boop tune of device drivers being activated or deactivated.

Why does Windows do this?  Supposedly it is a security feature, meant to enhance performance by disabling idle device drivers.  Check the "auto-power off" setting in your camera.  You shouldn't need to disable it, but you may need to extend the time to at least a minute, or more.  How much depends, in part, upon the speed of your computer. 

You may also want to shut down other applicaitons when you are connected to your camera, too, as these will only slow down the communications between the PC and the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@mwsasser wrote:

You may have something set up slightly wrong; your camera may not be at the latest firmware rev; or there may be some problem with the software on the computer. (However, I suggest you ignore the suggestion that Windows 10 is "not ready for prime time". It's as ready for prime time as almost any other OS has been at this stage of its development. Remember Windows 98? Windows ME? Windows Vista?)

But forget about all that. Except in rather unusual circumstances, serious photographers don't download images from the camera; they use a card reader that plugs into a computer's USB port. I suggest you do the same. Card readers are reliable, inexpensive, and easy to use. Many laptops even have one built in. It's pretty much a no-brainer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@mwsasser wrote:

I have checked the camera in device manager, the option to turn off the usb port is disabled.

Hi Mwasser:

Just to clarify...

On your PC you have gone to the device manager and made sure that the PC's USB ports are set not to turn off to save power? 

I have been turning that default feature off on Windows Device Manager since about Windows 2000.

On your Camera, you have made sure that the camera does not go into power save mode?

(if the USB fails to maintain comms with the camera it will abandon the connection.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Actually, if you check my first message you'll notice that I'd mentioned making certain the port power management was disabled.  The camera isn't going into power saver mode.  For instance, if I download 200 photos it'll disconnect fairly quickly, within a dozen photos or so.

I'm fairly certain this is a windows issue, not a camera issue.  Unless there is an odd undocumented setting in the camera's firmware.  I don't have this problem with my pre-windows 10 workstations.

Hi again:

You might observe that in my post I actually quoted your comment on that!  Smiley Happy

I was trying to clarify a confusion (in my mind) of semantics. There were two usb ports involved, on on the camera and one on the PC, hence my carefully worded response..  Your clarification of the other variables is helpful, thank you.

I would log the issue with Microsoft support services,  If others have had the same issues they may have a fix, but in the worst case they will have it registered as a bug and hopefully incorporate it in a later update.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Apologies and thanks Tronhard.  I have reported it to microsoft, but there have been no useful responses from them unfortunately.  I'll stick with the older workstations for now.  Curiously I haven't had problems with my other digital cameras or camcorders.

Guess I'm just not a serious enough photographer as to use a no-brainer card reader.  Smiley Tongue  

@mwsasser wrote:

I have reported it to microsoft, but there have been no useful responses from them unfortunately.  I'll stick with the older workstations for now.  Curiously I haven't had problems with my other digital cameras or camcorders.

Guess I'm just not a serious enough photographer as to use a no-brainer card reader.  Smiley Tongue  

I actually have worked on the interface design of one of the earlier versions of Windows and I was very disappointed at the way in which many people were pressured into updating to windows 10.  Especially the stunt of changing the update from suggested to a higher priority so many people suddenly found they had new version without intending to do so.  The final straw was changing the close icon of the update dialog box from its normal state of terminate window without doing anything to accept and continue.  That was sneaky.  So far I am still very happy to continue with my Windows 7 Pro!

If you got windows 10 as an upgrade there is a mechanism to reverse that if you have not cleared the 32-odd GB that it took up.  If you are interested you can do a search for that.  Windows 7 should be supported until about 2020.

cheers, TREVOR

Nah, I upgraded this workstation to windows 10 for development reasons. I still have several other windows boxes. Just wanted to make it easy and use this one.

There have been some patches lately that might change things, I'm going to do some tests and see if things have gotten better.
Announcements