cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the EOS utility for the Rebel SL1 work with the 40D?

RobTrek6500
Apprentice

We first bought the Rebel EOS 300D many years ago and then upgraded to a 40D at my wifes shagrine (heavier) and have now bought my wife a new Rebel SL1.  I would like to be able to download all three camers on my computer Win7 and her's WinXP.  I'd like to know if the new discs that came with the SL1 has an EOS Utility application that will handle all three or at least the 40D and SL1.

Thanks much,

Bob

1 REPLY 1

Danny

Hi, RobTrek6500!

The version of EOS Utility on the CD that came with your Canon EOS Rebel SL1 will allow you to download photos from both the Rebel SL1 and the EOS 40D, on both Windows 7 and Windows XP.

Unfortunately, the "Original" EOS Digital Rebel, known internationally as the EOS 300D, is no longer supported by current versions of EOS Utility, and going to an earlier version will cut out support for the later-model cameras.  EOS Utility's setup does not support having two separate versions on the same computer, so we recommend sticking with the newest version as it will be the most convenient for you.

The best workaround for this is to use a memory card reader for the original EOS Rebel.  Many desktop computers have CF card slots already built in, and if you don't already have a CF card slot, a CF card reader can be purchased for a low price at almost any electronics store.  This turns your CF card into the equivalent of a flash drive, and image files can be dragged and dropped onto your computer with ease.  Meanwhile, you can continue to use the current version of EOS Utility to download images from the Rebel SL1 and the EOS 40D.

We hope this helps!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements