cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the 7D Mark II fit my needs?

Elf_f_f
Apprentice

Hi

I am thinking about getting the 7D Mark II and I'd like to know how you think the camera will fit my needs.

I shoot video in environments where wide angle (the 10-18mm IS STM), audio monitoring (the headphone output), and action capable auto-focus is needed. I am aware of the benefits of a camcorder over a DSLR in video, coming from the Canon VIXIA HF M50.

I have always enjoyed photography, shooting with cameras like the Kodak Easyshare Z5010 and Fujifilm FinePix S2950. At least half the time, if not more, I'll be using it for photography. I take pictures of everything from landscape to macro, with plenty of action thrown in as well. About the only thing I don’t do is portraits. I've always liked nature photography but have never been able to get pictures of birds in flight or animals moving fast because of shutter lag on my point-and-shoots (I do understand that any DSLR would help with shutter lag).

Now for the lenses, I have a EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III and a EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 II USM and plan on using those until I get the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM and the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM. If I get into sports photography I’ll look into buying a better telephoto but that's a whole different story. Also, if I find myself stopping frequently somewhere between 24 and 85mm I might consider a prime.

The reasons I would choose the 7D Mark II over the 70D are:

1. The headphone output (I use headphones almost all the time while recording video).
2. The more advance AF in both conventional and dual pixel.
3. The durability of the camera (The reason I'm upgrading from my VIXIA is that the LCD hinge broke). 

4. The clean HDMI out.

I do understand that this is a very complex professional level camera and not the best first DSLR but I am willing to put in all the time and effort needed to master it.

Thanks for all your opinions.

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It sounds like a like you've done your homework.  Usually when someone wants a 7D II I wonder if it might be overkill because of the cameras many features optimized for action photography and hardening that the mid-range and entry-range bodies don't have.

looking at your list of lenses it occurs to me that you might enjoy a lens that can offer a very lower focal ratio.  None of your lenses will be able to offer a narrow depth of field or pull in more light in dim shooting situations.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for your response, it makes me feel more confident in my research.

After I shoot for awhile depending on my habits, I might get the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM or the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

No matter who you are the 7D Mk II is a fantastic camera.  It is for anyone and everyone!  I used a pair of 7D's for years professionally and they were the tops. Smiley Very Happy

One suggestion I always make is for peopel the keep their gear more ot less equal.  Quite frankly the lenses you have and some you want are below the level of the 7D Mk II.  You may want to reconsider them.

If you desire to remain in the 'ef-s' lens line up consider the ef-s 17-55 f/2.8 is usm <--- click me for instance. And perhaps the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM over the choice youl isted.

But I really recommend you look at the Canon 'L' line up even if you have to save a bit longer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements