cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my canon lenses fit the 70D? If yes, will they fit the international version of the 70 D?

2ndaryInsanity
Apprentice

I've been using an OLD  rebel EOS for years and am looking to upgrade. I need a camera that produces pictures that can be blown up to poster size or even bigger. Also, i'll sometimes be using the camera in low light situations.  Obviously, i'm trying to find one that won't break the bank! Lol. Is the 70D a good choice? If yes, are there any other cameras that will fit my needs?

My second question is: will my existing lenses fit the 70D? Or, will they fit whatever camera you think is best?

I have a 3rd question... I have seen 70D cameras for sale that are an international version. Are they as good as the regular 70D? If yes, will my lenses fit it?

Sorry about all my questions, but I desperately need answers ASAP and don't have time to do a bunch of research. A really good job opportunity fell in my lap suddenly. As luck would have it, my Rebel just died. I need a new/used camera quick. It's a once in a lifetime job, so i'm moving on this fast, but don't want to screw up by spending $600 or more on the wrong camera.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yes, the 70D is a good camera.  There is a model 80D that is about to be released that seems even better, though.  The choice of camera is highly dependent upon budget, and your personal photograhic needs and habits.

Yes, your lenses that begin their model numbers with "EF" or "EF-S" should work on a 70D, or any APS-C sensor body camera.

If you are in the United States, then it is best to purchase a U.S. version of the camera.  You might need service at some point in the future.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@2ndaryInsanity wrote:

I've been using an OLD  rebel EOS for years and am looking to upgrade. I need a camera that produces pictures that can be blown up to poster size or even bigger. Also, i'll sometimes be using the camera in low light situations.  Obviously, i'm trying to find one that won't break the bank! Lol. Is the 70D a good choice? If yes, are there any other cameras that will fit my needs?

My second question is: will my existing lenses fit the 70D? Or, will they fit whatever camera you think is best?

I have a 3rd question... I have seen 70D cameras for sale that are an international version. Are they as good as the regular 70D? If yes, will my lenses fit it?

Sorry about all my questions, but I desperately need answers ASAP and don't have time to do a bunch of research. A really good job opportunity fell in my lap suddenly. As luck would have it, my Rebel just died. I need a new/used camera quick. It's a once in a lifetime job, so i'm moving on this fast, but don't want to screw up by spending $600 or more on the wrong camera.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Yes, the 70D is a good choice, it is a very good general usage camera. 

The difference between 'international versions' and a regular 70D is the 'international versions' will not have a warranty. You are much better off buying a refurbished camera direct from Canon. The price will be similar and it will have a one year warranty from Canon.

The 70D is more than capable of producing poster size prints. Most likely your limiting factor will be the image quality of your older lenses. Lens image quality has come a long way in the last few years with the advent of computer design and manufacturing. So even if you have some old EF lenses, I would still recommend getting the STM kit lens with the 70D.

One note on the release of the 80D or newer cameras in general. Just because there is a new version of a camera, doesn't mean the old one stops working. The 70D is a good camera, and continues to be a good camera even if there is an 80D available. The release of the 80D just means you can get an even better deal on the 70D, it does not diminish the capabilities of the 70D at all. 

For low light a full frame camera would give you better image quality but full frame gets expensive.  So does buying all new lenses if your old ones were for crop cameras only.  

Probably the least expensive way to handle low light is buying a large aperture prime. The best bargain among them is the new STM version of the "nifty fifty" Canon EF 50mm f/1.8. The older versions were too cheap feeling but the new ones focus faster and more quietly and the build is noticeably more robust, but the price remains just $120.00. 

What lenses do you have?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

"...  a full frame camera would give you better image quality ..."

I am on Scotty's side on this one.  It is not going to likely happen on $600 bucks though.  But before I or he can go any further with recommendations, we do need to know what lenses you currently have?

There is another factor involved in making prints of poster size and beyond.  It is cropping.  Unless you get it absolutely right in the camera, not likely, some cropping may need to be done.  A FF, like a 6D, will handle cropping better.

But in truth any current model of Canon DSLR will do an admirable job.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements