cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my canon 80D lenses fit the canon 5D mark III?

CANON2
Contributor

I would like to buy canon 5D mark III, Will my canon 80D lenses fit the canon 5D mark III?

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@CANON2 wrote:

I would like to buy canon 5D mark III, Will my canon 80D lenses fit the canon 5D mark III?

If the lenses are EF-S, lenses, no. If they're EF lenses (no "-S"), then yes.

Note that any lens will have, at every point in its zoom range, a wider field of view on a 5D3 that it will at the same zoom setting on an 80D

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

As stated above the less expensive EF-s lenses are for crop sensor cameras only, so they'd fit your 80d but would not work on a 5d if you upgrade to full frame cameras like 5d3.  If you were going to buy the FF camera soon I'd hold off getting a lot of EF-s lenses, but it seems like you might be still a long time away from buying the 5d if you don't have the 80d yet. 

If you buy an 80d, there are package deals that give you a lens along with the camera, and there is a big discount on the lens. I might go ahead and get a kit lens just because it is so cheap and you can use it for a while.  Kit lenses like the 18-55 or the 18-135 are useful to get started and the 18-55 is only about $100 when you get them in the kit. 

If you want to skip the EF-s lenses and go for EF lenses you can use on 5d, look at getting a "white box" version of an EF 24-105 f/4 IS L.  That is the kit lens that comes with the full frame cameras like the 5d3, etc, so you can use it later when you upgrade. Sometimes people or camera stores break open the camera + lens package sets and sell the lens separately. You could find one for as little as $620, instead of the normal $999.00 price if you look.  It is an L" lens, meaning it is better build quality than ordinary lenses so it is a good lens to have. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@CANON2 wrote:

Dear Scott, Thank you very much!

What I am planning to do is buying 80D till 5D Mark IV is released so I can use the lenses on 5D mark IV

The result of that strategy will be that your main camera will be full-frame, with a crop camera as backup. There are arguably some advantages to that, but the questions you've been asking suggest that they don't apply to your situation. Most FF users would prefer that their backup cameras be FF as well. So  why not forget the 80D and look for an affordable refurbished 5D Mk III? (Remember that the 80D is brand new, so you're probably going to pay top dollar for it.) When you do buy your 5D Mk IV, you'll know that the EF lenses you've accumulated will be the best match for both cameras.

Bob

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@CANON2 wrote:

Dear Scott, Thank you very much!

What I am planning to do is buying 80D till 5D Mark IV is released so I can use the lenses on 5D mark IV

The result of that strategy will be that your main camera will be full-frame, with a crop camera as backup. There are arguably some advantages to that, but the questions you've been asking suggest that they don't apply to your situation. Most FF users would prefer that their backup cameras be FF as well. So  why not forget the 80D and look for an affordable refurbished 5D Mk III? (Remember that the 80D is brand new, so you're probably going to pay top dollar for it.) When you do buy your 5D Mk IV, you'll know that the EF lenses you've accumulated will be the best match for both cameras.

Alomst my thoughts exactly.  The newest APS-C body and the latest 5D make for an odd couple.  I think another idea for backup might be a 6D kit that comes with a PRO-100 printer.  The printer is practically free at B&H. 

The choice of first lens to buy is up in the air.  You cannot go wrong with the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@CANON2 wrote:
Thank you very much!
Great idea, since 6D is cheaper than 5D mark III, but do 6D lenses fit 5d?

Yes, the EOS 6D is a "full frame" camera body, just like the EOS 5D Series of cameras. 

I would advise a general, all-purpose, "standard zoom" lens as your initial lens purchase.  Another first lens option is to purchase 35mm or 50mm prime.  Canon offers a couple of selections [cost] at each focal length, and zoom range.

25 REPLIES 25

Thank you very much!

@CANON2 wrote:
Thank you very much!

Yes, the EOS 6D is a "full frame" camera body, just like the EOS 5D Series of cameras. 

I would advise a general, all-purpose, "standard zoom" lens as your initial lens purchase.  Another first lens option is to purchase 35mm or 50mm prime.  Canon offers a couple of selections [cost] at each focal length, and zoom range.

Thank you very much!
this helps me alot

This may be an easy way to think about it.

1) There are two types of modern Canon DSLR lenses -- EF lenses and EF-S lenses.

2) EF-S lenses will only fit the crop sensor cameras such as the 50D, 60D, 70D and 80D. They will not fit a full frame camerra such as the 5DMkIII.

3) EF lenses will fit both the full frame cameras such as the 5DMkIII and the crop sensor cameras such as the 80D. 

4) So to be safe if you want to use a lens on both types of cameras (full frame and crop sensor) look only at EF lenses.

5) Crop sensor cameras such as the 80D have a 1.6x crop factor. Let's say you buy a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens and put it on a full frame camera such as the 5DMkIII. You are effectively looking through a 50mm lens. Duh! But put that same 50mm lens on an 80D and because of the crop factor the effective focal length of that same 50mm lens is 50mm x 1.6 or 80mm meaning what you see the the equivalent of looking through a 80mm lens on a 5DMkIII. 

It all sounds more confusing than it actually is. Smiley Happy

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L
and dare I add... a Canon F-1 with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm FD lenses
Pixma Pro-100 & Epson 3800 Printers

Thank you very much!

I found the
EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM = $999 also in the same site
EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM = $624

Could I know why this huge difference?

It is hard to tell without seeing the actual listing but I'm betting it is all based on the condition of the lens. The $999 version may be in much better condition than the $624 version. If you read the descriptions carefully you will probably uncover why the difference.

Ed

Canon 5DMkIII...Canon 35mm f/1.4L II... Canon 50mm f/1.2L... Canon 85mm f/1.8... Canon 135mm f/2.0L
and dare I add... a Canon F-1 with 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm FD lenses
Pixma Pro-100 & Epson 3800 Printers

Thank you all!

@CANON2 wrote:
Thank you very much!

I found the

Mst likely one of them is a "white box" version. Somebody has already explained that in some detail in one of the threads you started on this topic.

Bob

@CANON2 wrote:
Thank you very much!

I found the

The Canon Refurbished Store is currently selling if for less than that, and it comes with a full one year warranty.

Could I know why is
EOS 6D Refurbished with EF 24-105mm f/4L IS Refurbished Lens Kit more expensive than if I bought them separately?
It is in Canon online store.
Thank you!
Announcements