cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will canon ever provide updated software, drivers, and firmware for older EOS camera models?

jpcrazy
Apprentice

I own a Rebel XT and a 40D; both work absolutely perfect.  Except for one thing! Remote Capture. Microsoft operating systems change annually and it is my understanding that they provide companies the necessary information for updating their own applications.  It seems Canon has decided not to take advantage of this information.  I would like to offer a couple of solutions. One, instead of creating applications for individual models create one standard application compatible with all operating systems. Then make individual applications for special functions of each camera model.  Two, make the applications available to open source developers. 

In the mean time does anyone know of a way to get the remote capture function to work?

2 REPLIES 2

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Canon is never going to make their technology available to 3rd party companies or individuals. It would be financial suicide. Even companies like Sigma and Tamron have to reverse engineer their lenses to make them work on Canon bodies. Canon does not supply them with, here's how material.

It just ani't gonna happen.

An XT is nearly ten years old and unfortunately a victim of the never ending explosion of upgrades in electronics.

Have you tried Lightroom to see if it would work with your XT? Maybe an older version might may a difference. I don't know as I have not tried  it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you for responding to my question. Since my windows 7 machines do not recognize the cameras when attached, no software applications work.  Maybe Santa will bring me a new camera.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements