cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will STM lenses work in older EF-S DSLR cameras?

techjedi
Contributor

I will be upgrading soon from an XTi to either a T5i or SL1.

I dont have the original lens for the XTi and I dont plan to use the STM lens that the new camera comes with. I was going to give my old camera to a friend by putting the kit lens on it. Will the STM 18-55mm lens work on the XTi?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Yes.

Bob

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

EF and EF-S is the key.  Taking the risk of scrutiny any lens wiht those letters will work.  However, there is a M lens that is rarely encountered and will not work.  But it will have the M in it's designation.

The 18-55mm STM is a pretty decient lens are you sure you don't want it?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

EF and EF-S is the key.  Taking the risk of scrutiny any lens wiht those letters will work.  However, there is a M lens that is rarely encountered and will not work.  But it will have the M in it's designation.

The 18-55mm STM is a pretty decient lens are you sure you don't want it?

Mention of M lenses can add nothing but confusion to this discussion. The OP's new T5i or SL-1 will not come with an M lens.

Bob

Thank everyone for the information. I thought I had read somewhere that STM stepping motor required a newer camera even though it was a EF-S mount. Glad to know it will work in the XT-i.

The reason we probably wont use it is that my wife does almost exclusively studio work and already has a much more expensive EF lens for that purpose. I doubt she would ever put on the kit lens and given that we want to give the old camera away which doesnt have a lens, that lets it be a complete camera.

@techjedi wrote:

Thank everyone for the information. I thought I had read somewhere that STM stepping motor required a newer camera even though it was a EF-S mount. Glad to know it will work in the XT-i.

The reason we probably wont use it is that my wife does almost exclusively studio work and already has a much more expensive EF lens for that purpose. I doubt she would ever put on the kit lens and given that we want to give the old camera away which doesnt have a lens, that lets it be a complete camera.

Get it into the hands of a young relative willing to put it to use. You may be helping start him/her on the way to a life-long hobby or productive career.

Bob

Bob from Boston,

This was why I made the disclaimer!

"Taking the risk of scrutiny any lens with those letters will work."

The clarification of the letters was my intent, not the contents of the T5i kit.

You guys a re tough! Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements