cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will RC-1 work with my 80D?

Rebel
Contributor

I have an older Canon RC-1 remote I bought when I had my old EOS 630 (or maybe my Xti). Will this work with my 80D, or do I need to upgrade to something more compatible?

9 REPLIES 9

What happens when you try it? Does it work?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Don't know. No batteries in the thing. And it's frustrating buying stuff you don't need for something that doesn't work, in this case, batteries for an RC unit that may or may not work.

@Rebel wrote:
Don't know. No batteries in the thing. And it's frustrating buying stuff you don't need for something that doesn't work, in this case, batteries for an RC unit that may or may not work.

Buy some batteries, and try it.  If it doesn’t work, you can probaboy use the batteries in the current remote that does work.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes, the RC-1 is an Infrared Remote and is compatible with your 80D. It takes two CR-1220 Lithium button batteries. 

Keep in mind that It it might be cheaper to buy a 3rd party RC-6 remote that takes only one of the more common CR-2032. (the battery is usually included)

They are available for as little as $1 on eBay. (with battery)

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

Yes, the RC-1 is an Infrared Remote and is compatible with your 80D. It takes two CR-1220 Lithium button batteries. 

Keep in mind that It it might be cheaper to buy a 3rd party RC-6 remote that takes only one Of the more common CR-2032. (the battery is usually included)

They are available for as little as $1 on eBay. (with battery)

This will work definitely. But you may have to wait for a bit. Good suggestion.

The 80D system map does not show the RC-1, just the RC-6, but my google-foo says it should work. "Canon RC-1 vs RC-6"

Go to the dollar store.  Pay $1 and buy a pack of 4 CR1220 button batteries.

Test it out and report back. Those batteries may not last long but they are good enough for testing.

If you don't want to spend that $1 at all, you may just install an app for free on your smart phone and trigger your camera shutter from there. Some of these apps support multi brands of camera with IR feature.

I have "DSLR Remote" installed on my Samsung S6 and the app has the following features : Remote (instant fire or 2 seconds delay/Timer/Random/HDR. There are a lot of settings in these features and they are fun to play with. Remember, it's free. If you don't like it just uninstall it from your cell.

Range depends on a lot of factors and I found it effective winthin 15 to 20 feet. The smartphone has to be visible to the IR sensor of the camera. Thus some limitations.

Enjoy.

Rebel
Contributor

Thanks for all the advice, folks! After thinking about it over a cold beer, I decided to just order the RC-6 just to stick with the update. Should be here by Friday.

Rebel wrote:

Thanks for all the advice, folks! After thinking about it over a cold beer, I decided to just order the RC-6 just to stick with the update. Should be here by Friday.

It's amazing how much more clearly one can think while downing a cold beer.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements