cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why, when in manual focus mode...

pixeltaker
Contributor

...on the 60D do I not hear a beep or see a green light when I am in focus?  Is there a setting to change this?  The lens I am using is a Canon 18-135.  

14 REPLIES 14

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@pixeltaker wrote:

...on the 60D do I not hear a beep or see a green light when I am in focus?  Is there a setting to change this?  The lens I am using is a Canon 18-135.  

If the light metering system is inactive and idle, then you will not hear a focus confirmation beep.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

diverhank
Authority

@pixeltaker wrote:

This is just the way Canon cameras are designed, when you're in Manual focus mode, you're on your own..  Some cameras like Sony will tell you and this is handy if you have a manual focus only lens. 

The way the Canon cameras work is actually the way I personally prefer it because I have all AF-capable lenses and when I think I can do better than the AF, I go on manual focus and it does not matter what the camera thinks.   A trick I use to manually focus better than the camera AF is to turn on live view, press the magnifying glass twice to get 10X zoom and focus on the magnified image.  Press it again to go back to normal live view.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

Thanks for this info.  

Not all cameras. While this could be a Rebel thing, on my T6S it does give focus confirmation:

Focus.jpg

And on my late, great T3i, the beeper would sound:

Focust3.jpg

Thank you for your response, but I do not have a Rebel.  I have a 60D.  I have used the tecnique as posted by someone else.  Set the zoom to where you want it.  Go to Live View, zoom in and manual focus from Live View.  I tried that the other night and it works perfectly, although no beep or green light.  But I was able to see close-up how sharp (or not!) I was focusing!

I was just correcting the "It is just not a Canon thing", it appears that it is not a Canon professional thing.

You should get a focus confirmation light and focus point flashing in red, just no beep:

focus60D.jpg

I use back-button focus.  Shouldn't it work with that also?

I don't know. Should be easy to try.

Announcements