cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why sometimes does my 60 D's shutter not fire?

rogerogden
Apprentice

Shutter does not always "firea'. Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

ScottyP
Authority

Probably because it is having trouble autofocusing.  Either you are indoors in "dim" light, which is not always dim to the eye, or else you may be too close to the subject or the subject does not have enough contrast for the camera to grab focus.  Usually it is the dim light though.  

As is often the case in photography, one solution is throwing money at it.  A 5D3 can autofocus at -2 EV, and a 6D can autofocus in -3EV  light.  The 60D cannot focus in that little light.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

The failure to focus thing was my biggest gripe when I was using a T3i.  (I also disliked the noise, grain, lack of detail at ISO above 800)  Light that seemed fine to my human eye was dim to the camera.  A seemingly well-lit restaurant, or a basically normal evening in a living room was "dim" to the camera.  You go to take a shot, and you get this embarassing and frustrating 3 or 5 or 8 seco9nd lag, while the camera flash is madly strobing the scene, trying to get enough light to autofocus.  Ug.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

All cameras have their limits.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements