Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor

Why is video autofocus so slow? EOS M6 Mark 2

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I just bought an EOS M6 Mark 2 - the autofocus when taking pictures is RAPID but on video's it's like a snail. I'm completely new to the world of cameras so I'm hoping this is a rookie mistake!

The lens is a Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM (link here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H4F65YR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

I literally just bought it for 4k video so this really needs to speed up! I don't understand why the autofocus on video goes so slow, I want it to be as fast as the picture mode!

Thanks

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Why is video autofocus so slow? EOS M6 Mark 2

[ Edited ]

Your camera has dual pixel autofocus, maybe you need to turn it on for video - for example, turn off face detect.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Why is video autofocus so slow? EOS M6 Mark 2

Thanks, I turned off face detect and turned on '1 spot autofocus' which allowed me to increase the autofocus speed to +2 but for a camera in 2020 the speed is a joke still.

What I don't understand is why it can be so quick in photo mode but not video mode!

Anyway, I bought 2 of them and I've just returned them both - going for the Sony Alpha a6400 instead, apparently the autofocus is best in class