cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my M50 EOS showing corrupted videos files? It's not my hard drive, laptop, or Card Reader.

Alistair1
Contributor

Hi, I own a Canon EOS M50 camera and I use Sandisk 64gb (extreme and Ultra) memory cards and it appears my files are becoming corrupted. I tried to isolate if it was the hard drive, or the macbook, or the USB card reader but it appears it may be the encoding of the files onto the memory card.  Perhaps the settings are too high res for the memory cards... Is this a common issue? How do I resolve this? Need it resolved asap as I'm a newbie on footage capturing trip. Thanks, Al

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Are you using full size memory cards, not the micro-SD cards that need adapters?  Are your cards labeled UHS-I, U3?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hey bro,

Thanks for the reply. I can see the U bucket looking image with a 3 in the middle of it

I have attached a photo, I drew a B on it for personal memory.These are not micro... Any ideas?IMG_3505.jpg

Hmm.  That speed rating is a bit on the high side.  Where did you purchase your cards.

A6C61126-CD3E-45F3-9DCF-EB4310F973EB.jpeg

I purchased the above cards at B&H Photo Video.  Notice the speeds.  The plain Extreme should be 90 MB/s, too.

So you are saying the MBs is too high?

@Alistair1 wrote:

So you are saying the MBs is too high?

Yes.  The SandDisk Extrreme is [not] rated that high.  Where did you buy your card?  I suspect that it may be counterfeit.

I bought it from a reputable store in Australia called JB Hi Fi. 

I have some 80mbs Sandisk arriving today. Hopefully they are ok...

@Alistair1 wrote:

I bought it from a reputable store in Australia called JB Hi Fi. 

I have some 80mbs Sandisk arriving today. Hopefully they are ok...

Retailers have been known to be bamboozled, too, by buying merchandise at the lowest price.  The older cards were rated at 80 MB/s years ago.  More recently, they Seem to have been retagged as 90 Mb/s.

Thank you for your support, insight and feedback. I have not been able to find this question discussed elsewhere, so given the nature of the issue and my enquiry hopefully I've made the best choice with changing cards. If this issue persists I will take it to a cannon store, or the retailer and troubleshoot some more. Thanks for being in the corner I'll see if the fight is still on, hopefully, it's finished for now!

Al

Announcements