cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is my Canon EOS 60D new battery pack taking DAYs to charge either my old or my new battery packs

petebog
Apprentice

Dear Canon (or anybody)

I have had a Canon EOS 60D camera for years and it works wonderfully, but its charging system is something else.  Recently my battery charger has had trouble completely charging either of my 2 battery packs.  So now, as a test, I have purchased a third battery pack, and a new battery charger.  The new charger has been left with both the old and the brand new battery packs, and never gets past the rapid orange flash stage.   I have read your advisory noteon this site for EOS batteries, and have followed its advice.  I removed the battery, from the charger for 10 or more seconds, and have retriedseveral times.  The battery pack flashes orange slowly for 10 flashes or so, and then repeats the unending rapid flash.  These packs have NEVER lit the 50% or 75% charge lites either recently or in the distant past ehen I first ought the camera.

Please advise what I should do.  Every part of my battery charging system is now brand new, and the system cannot charge a battery. We are going on a 4-month world cruise soon, and I will need  2 batteries and a successful charging system then, if I plan to be on many all-day tours in the field using backup batteries.

Thanks,

Pete

4 REPLIES 4

Tiffany

Hi Petebog!

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forum! The Forum is not intended for immediate help, but a place to allow for the Community to give you assistance and feedback. If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team.

Thanks!

I've never run into this kind of story so I highly recommend contacting service using the link provided.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks for your help cicopo!  I just started trying to recharge the battery curently in the camera which was listed on the camera's INFO diasplay as having 83% charge remaining, and I have to alter my complaint. I was interpreting the battery charger  percent-complete indicators wrong.  They are not additional lights, they are counts of how many orange flashes to expect  for a 50% and 75% charge. Using the orange light to mean multiple things is really misleading..There is not much difference between the flashes meaning 75% charge (3 rapid flashes), and a broken charging system (4 or more rapid plashes). In my case, it appears that the battery charger is not rapidly flashing incoherently, it is flashing 3 short pulses.  This correctly means that the charge on my old battery with the 83% charge is being correcly measured by the battery charger as >75%.  I will just wait until the light goes green, and will reinsert that battery pack into the camera.

Then I can go back to attemping to charge the really old battery, and the new one, with fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help.

Petebog

petebog
Apprentice
I solved this one by calling Canon Support directly. It turns out that any 3rd party battery packs (not produced by Canon directly) may not charge as they may not be manufactured to the specs required by the Canon battery charger. So I am chucking the two 3rd party batteries I have and am picking up a spare battery directly from Canon. Thanks for your help everybody!
Petebog (Pete Bogle)
Announcements