cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has Canon decided to not update anything for Windows 10?

Timbambam
Apprentice

I have been using the Canon EOS camera systems before there was digital. Every since I purchased my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 I have realized that Canon and Windows 10 dont seen to work. I cant get any driver updates or anything thats made available for my Canon digital EOS 70 D camera. I have no way to tether my camera to my computer without paying a lot of money for an application. This is just another way to get money from the consumer.

I have been considering buying a mirrorless camera. I really had been waiting on Canon because all of my lenses would be compatible. Now with all the problems that I am having with Windows 10 I have to rethink buying it as it makes no sense to continue purchasing cameras from a company that seems unwilling to help there customers by updating their software so it becomes compatible with Windows 10. What a huge disappointment.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I am sorry that you are having issues with Windows 10.  I have not fully upgraded to using Windows 10, but I have got it running on a tablet what can communicate, via USB, with either my T5 or my 6D.

I have not tried wireless connections to my tablet, yet.  Are you trying to connect wirelessly, or via USB?  I believe the wireless connection requires the use of a wireless access point.  In other words, a wireless connection is made through a wireless LAN in your home, for example, not though a direct link between your laptop and the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

I am sorry that you are having issues with Windows 10.  I have not fully upgraded to using Windows 10, but I have got it running on a tablet what can communicate, via USB, with either my T5 or my 6D.

I have not tried wireless connections to my tablet, yet.  Are you trying to connect wirelessly, or via USB?  I believe the wireless connection requires the use of a wireless access point.  In other words, a wireless connection is made through a wireless LAN in your home, for example, not though a direct link between your laptop and the camera.

My understanding is that the 6D has two modes and can serve as either a WiFi access point or a client. So you should be able to connect a computer to the camera whether or not you have a home WiFi network. I've never actually used a 6D, so check your user manual in case I'm wrong. But I've seen the capability referred to more than once.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:
[deleted]

My understanding is that the 6D has two modes and can serve as either a WiFi access point or a client. So you should be able to connect a computer to the camera whether or not you have a home WiFi network. I've never actually used a 6D, so check your user manual in case I'm wrong. But I've seen the capability referred to more than once.

One reason for going with the 6D over the 7D Mk II was the both built-in WiFi and GPS.  After using the camera for a week, I quickly discovered that GPS is a "battery bandit".  I expect WiFi to be a similar drain on battery power, if it is not disabled. 

I will have to look into whether or not the 6D can function as a wireless access point.  Even if it could, that would mean that my wireless laptop, or tablet, would have to connect to the camera, and not my LAN.  That seems pretty awkward to me, at best. 

Besides, I had hoped to do remote shooting wirelessly.  I will need to check that, too, but I think that all that the wireless connection allows you to do is to download files, not remote shooting.  I'm gonna have a busy winter, I see.  Lot's of stuff to explore, change and modify....like setting up a VPN for file storage and access.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Not sure I understand:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-70d/!ut/p/z1/nZHN...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Canon certainly does have software support for Windows 10.  

The most commonly used programs are EOS Utility (EOS Utility does many things, but this is the utility that supports "tethered" shooting via the USB cable) and also Digital Photo Professional (used to adjust images).

Also note that the WiFi cameras are either in "WiFi" mode or in "USB" mode... but never both at the same time.  If you've enabled WiFi and want to connect via USB then you must disable WiFi.

There was likely a CD in the box that came with the camera, but that's merely the software that used to be "current" at the time your camera was made.  To get the latest software you will need to download it from the Canon website.  John provided the link in the post above.  

On that page, make sure you select "Drivers & Downloads" category, then select your operating system type (Windows 10 or Windows 10 x64) and select "Software".

Some software has not needed an update to work with Windows 10 -- so you'll find a few more things if you check the Windows 8 category.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

chuckt
Apprentice

I have the same issue with my new Rebel T5 ... We need a windows driver update to allow the camera to be recognized.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
You shouldn't need drivers. Do you have Windows Media Player installed?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements