cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we have multiple exposures like our Nikonian friends? Hmm?

agilmore
Contributor

Seems to me like this should be achievable through software. 

I'm kind of curious as to why even mid-range Nikons can do this, while only the top of the line Canons (new 1D and 5D MKIII) are capable of it.

Is there a hardware or technical limitation preventing this from being implemented on something like the 600D?

As it is I have to rely on an old EOS 500 film camera to do these (or make them in photoshop - which takes all the fun out of it!).

11 REPLIES 11

Yep, the 5D has it, but as I mentioned in my post I was curious as to why Canon's mid and entry level range don't have it. Considering the competition has no difficulty implementing it on their mid-range and entry-level DSLRs.

I can kind of sympathise with the sentiment above about Canon not being very 'customer friendly'. It happens in any industry in which a company has been a market leader for a long period, they reach a point where they seem more interested in maintaining their share of the market (usually with very small incrememental updates to their products), rather than wowing and delighting their existing customer base.

Magic Lantern was mentioned above, and anybody who has used it will know just how much Canon has been skimping on software features right across its product line. The lack of really significant updates in both HW and SW is something that's been noted in every review of a Canon camera I've seen in the last couple of years.

Anyway, I'll shut up  now... I'm dragging my own thread off-topic!

Thanks for the replies. If any of the Canon team would like to pop in with an answer re: the multiple exposures that would be greatly appreciated.

@agilmore wrote:

Yep, the 5D has it, but as I mentioned in my post I was curious as to why Canon's mid and entry level range don't have it. Considering the competition has no difficulty implementing it on their mid-range and entry-level DSLRs.

I can kind of sympathise with the sentiment above about Canon not being very 'customer friendly'. It happens in any industry in which a company has been a market leader for a long period, they reach a point where they seem more interested in maintaining their share of the market (usually with very small incrememental updates to their products), rather than wowing and delighting their existing customer base.

Magic Lantern was mentioned above, and anybody who has used it will know just how much Canon has been skimping on software features right across its product line. The lack of really significant updates in both HW and SW is something that's been noted in every review of a Canon camera I've seen in the last couple of years.

Anyway, I'll shut up  now... I'm dragging my own thread off-topic!

Thanks for the replies. If any of the Canon team would like to pop in with an answer re: the multiple exposures that would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with you in many ways. I understand trying to create clear segments but DSLRs are a "long game" not a short game. Get someone in a xxxD, good chance you'll get that person into a xxD body and then a xD body in YOUR brand. How many Rebel owners got excited about the 5d3 vs xd or xxd owners? Not to mention all of the lenses they'll aquire. Besides, collect enough lenses and you'll end up with users much less likely to switch because of the investment they have in lenses.

Whether a feature seems like a gimic, a real innovation, or the current trend, if you get new buyers in, you're more likely to have them long term! Imgine 2 or 3 frame HDR bracketing in a Rebel!

I see how many people get excited and look at/buy a T4i because it features AF in video mode. Now you've got a new buyer getting the new STM lenses, then a couple of regular lenses or one of the less expensive L lenses, then they'll look at xxd or a xd body for even more capability/ergonomics....see where I'm going...

If a new DSLR buyer buys a Nikon, I would venture to guess the majority of them will stick with Nikon (I say Nikon since it is the major competitor, but any format or maker is the same case).

And I think that is where the root of the question for this thread lies... 😉 

Announcements