cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't we have multiple exposures like our Nikonian friends? Hmm?

agilmore
Contributor

Seems to me like this should be achievable through software. 

I'm kind of curious as to why even mid-range Nikons can do this, while only the top of the line Canons (new 1D and 5D MKIII) are capable of it.

Is there a hardware or technical limitation preventing this from being implemented on something like the 600D?

As it is I have to rely on an old EOS 500 film camera to do these (or make them in photoshop - which takes all the fun out of it!).

11 REPLIES 11

BrickR
Enthusiast

You make a good point.

Canon seems more interested in carving out and staying in segments than offering more bang for buck to buyers to get them into the system.

There is a LOT that can be done in software. Just look at Magic Lantern! 😉

Yeah I've been secretly hoping that the ML guys will implement it! Doesn't look like Canon have any interest in doing so.

I think one of the recent ML beta builds allows a double exposure 'preview' mode, where you can overlay two previously shot images (but afaik you can't save the resulting image). But that's not much use to me, really.

Would be nice to at least get an explanation from Canon. I'm seeing some great multiple exposures on flickr and 500px lately from Nikon users, and I'm starting to get a little bit jealous...

ratan
Enthusiast

ummm... so why don't you buy Nikon then? I bought a Canon because Nikon could not provide me with good video

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

Sell all my canon gear and start over for the sake of one feature? A feature which I can still do with my film cameras? That wouldn't make much sense. I'm locked in to Canon's ecosystem at this point.

And since I'm only a hobbyist I can't really justify splashing out on a second body and lenses.

It would just be nice to have it implemented... or at least get some explanation as to why it can't be implemented.

True... In that case you can buy Canon Cameras that support multiple exposures then. Models that support this function is the Canon EOS 5D Mark iii and the Canon EOS 1D-X. I think this function will not be introduced in new firmware, because this is part of marketing strategy // better reason to buy a newer Canon model.

I like DSLRs and a Gear Whore.

Canon:
Canon EOS 1Dx, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 50mm f/1.2L USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM IS II, EF 200mm f/2.0L IS USM

Nikon:
Nikon D4, Nikon D800, Carl Zeiss Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed 50mm T/1.5, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED, Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

mikegrados
Contributor

Allow me to introduce you to the 6D.  Mid-range pricing, and can do multiple exposures.  I can almost guarantee that this capability will filter down through future models.

Because Canon is not a customer friendly, for example why the 5DIII does not have a built-in flash.  Why Canon does not release a compact/light version of the Canon 1Dx that is travel/senior people friendly with a battery charger that is small such as the one of the 5DIII.  

"Not customer friendly" is a silly accusation. To be "customer friendly" should Canon include every feature on every model?

Different models have fit different needs and to think a certain model need to be changed to fit your unique needs is a bit unreasonable.

The last time I checked, my 5D Mark III offers that feature, multiple exposure capability, that is.
Announcements