cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why 4k Mjpeg video for the new Mark IV?

GARoss
Apprentice

I own a Canon 70d & waited to upgrade to the new 5dmkiv but now... not so sure. Need some convincing.

I don't get why Canon went with 4k Mjpeg video format. I can find very little about this format. It does (mjpeg) seem popular for survailance cameras.

Video RAW-like formats S-log & V-log have are know to add 1-2 stops to video. It would seem this type of format would of made more sense as the equivalent file size are much smaller. 4k Mjpeg files will be hugh - around 250Gb for one hour. Very fast & expensive CF cards will be needed.

Well, I hope I'm wrong. Just need some convincing that 4k Mjpeg is a good idea.

5 REPLIES 5

@GARoss wrote:

I own a Canon 70d & waited to upgrade to the new 5dmkiv but now... not so sure. Need some convincing.

I don't get why Canon went with 4k Mjpeg video format. I can find very little about this format. It does (mjpeg) seem popular for survailance cameras.

Video RAW-like formats S-log & V-log have are know to add 1-2 stops to video. It would seem this type of format would of made more sense as the equivalent file size are much smaller. 4k Mjpeg files will be hugh - around 250Gb for one hour. Very fast & expensive CF cards will be needed.

Well, I hope I'm wrong. Just need some convincing that 4k Mjpeg is a good idea.

It's not the only option, is it? In the online presentation I thought they discussed several different available formats.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I believe it's the only option for 4K recording. MP4 or mov for others.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

One major difference between video formats is compression.  Do you want to have a separate image per video frame, or would rather have video frames compressed together to achieve a smaller disk file?  I would prefer a separate image per frame.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for responding. I suppose it would be more film-like with independent frames.

But adding 1-2 stops of light is a plus, too. In the end, it's eventually rendered as h.264 (perhaps h.265 as well) as a delivered product, isn't it?

I see where Tony Northrup has posted an intro video to the new 5D Mk4. In this video he states no real benefit to using 4k Mjpeg other than perhaps still grabs off the video. Compared one hour file sizes at 226Gb for 4kMjpeg to 40Gb for 4k Mp4.

Buy this camera for all the other great HD video & photo advancements. They look terrific but I'm afraid 4k Mjpeg is going to be usable unless you have one monster of a computer!

Announcements