cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which cameras have AF microadjustment?

KarlKrueger
Enthusiast

I know the 5D series and 6D, 7D, and 70D (presumably the 7D Mark II) have it. Do any of the other cameras have this capability that I am not seeing like the 60D or the T5i/T3i?

4 REPLIES 4

Skirball
Authority

None of the rebel line (XXXD) has AFMA.  Canon will probably keep this into upper tier cameras as an enticement to upgrade.  For the most part, all XD cameras have it, and the 50D and 70D.

The 60D actually doesn't have it.  The 50D did, and Canon removed it from the 60D for some asinine marketing reason (I assume).  The rumor was that the 40D was actually supposed to have it and they removed it at the last minute.  They put it back in the 70D.  Hopefully these shinanigans are done and all XXD cameras will have it from this point forward.

I haven't really paid attention to the 7DII specs, but I'm sure it has it.

Thank you Skirball, that's what I thought.

Maybe this is getting sidetracked but you give some indication of functionality put into the different models. I see no pattern with the 6D/60D 7D/7Dii/70D. It seems each model has a slight upgrade in something but I'm not seeing anything that really makes them stand out from each other. I have the 70D and have been happy with it - more so after I did the microadjustment with my lenses. But overall I get the impression these cameras have maxed out the technology for the size of sensors involved. If they make the photosites smaller diffraction negates any increase in resolution.

So are we pretty much at the limit of what our current technology will allow and that is why all these cameras are so similar except for having the next version of Digic included? I should add WiFi and the touch screen LCD were neat upgrades in the later models but I know others with the 7D or 6D that won't upgrade simply because of that.

@KarlKrueger wrote:

Maybe this is getting sidetracked but you give some indication of functionality put into the different models. I see no pattern with the 6D/60D 7D/7Dii/70D. It seems each model has a slight upgrade in something but I'm not seeing anything that really makes them stand out from each other.

So are we pretty much at the limit of what our current technology will allow and that is why all these cameras are so similar except for having the next version of Digic included? I should add WiFi and the touch screen LCD were neat upgrades in the later models but I know others with the 7D or 6D that won't upgrade simply because of that.

Well, you're not looking at the model grouping properly.  Canon has the XXXD line (e.g. 700D).  It's the Rebel branding in the US, and the entry level dSLR. 

The step up from that is XXD line, such as the 70D, which supersedes the 60D.  This line has a better build, some weather sealing, more functions, faster processors, and some technology that hasn't trickled down to the Rebel line yet.  For example, the 70D introduced dual pixel focus.  This technology will probably trickle down to the Rebel line eventually.  Things like AFMA and a lot of the custom functions could easily be brought to the Rebel line, without increasing costs, but Canon won't do that to help differentiate the lines.

The XD line has several different cameras, that aren't necessarily related.  They're all good cameras, and can shoot most types of photography, but the feature sets usually gear them towards a certain type of photography.  The XD line is often referred to as the pro line, but there really isn't a formal distinction.  Most of the XD are full frame, meaning the sensor is much bigger, the exception being the 7D/7D2.  This is Canon's top level crop sensor and it's designed around wildlife and action photography.  It has a very fast burst rate, very fast processors, a ton of the "pro level" functions and features, a very durable build, etc.  The 6D is actually a remake, of sorts of the 5D2.  When Canon released the 5D3 the bumped the price point up significantly, so they made the 6D, which is very similar to the popular 5D2.  The main difference between the 5d3 and 6D is the autofocus system.  Both have terrific low light ability and make them popular for event photographers, but the the 5d3 AF separates the two lines for those that have the need.  The 1D series is the top of the line, rugged, pro line camera with the best sealing, most features, top sensor, and highest price tag.

@Skirball wrote:

None of the rebel line (XXXD) has AFMA.  Canon will probably keep this into upper tier cameras as an enticement to upgrade.  For the most part, all XD cameras have it, and the 50D and 70D.

The 60D actually doesn't have it.  The 50D did, and Canon removed it from the 60D for some asinine marketing reason (I assume).  The rumor was that the 40D was actually supposed to have it and they removed it at the last minute.  They put it back in the 70D.  Hopefully these shinanigans are done and all XXD cameras will have it from this point forward.

I haven't really paid attention to the 7DII specs, but I'm sure it has it.

Forgive me for wandering slightly off-topic, but the 7D2 has another interesting feature: it's allowed to use Version 4 of Digital Photo Professional, while the 7D is not. I can see no possible reason for this distinction, other than to create a favored class of users that 7D owners must upgrade in order to join. It's particularly infuriating to me, since I own a 5D3 as well as two 7Ds. So when I use both models in a photo shoot (as I often do), I can get the additional features of DPP4 only on the pictures I take with my 5D3. This is very disruptive to my workflow, since DPP3 has no way of recognizing that an image can be (or has already been) worked on with DPP4. (I've come up with a workaround that sort of evades that particular problem, but I won't describe it because I don't want to give Canon the satisfaction of being able to recommend it to others.)

I was irritated when DPP4 was made available only for FF camers, but I could halfheartedly convince myself that if might take more effort to include a provision APS-C cameras. And I'm irate, now that it has become fairly obvious that that isn't the case.

Frankly, I doubt that Canon pays enough attention to this forum for a complaint here to have any effect. So as soon as I have a few minutes to spare, I'm going to take it up via Canon Professional Services, of which I'm a Gold Member. I hope others will do the same.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements