cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which camera is the next step up?

dil
Apprentice

Hey guys!

I bought a Canon 80D about two and a half years ago. I love this thing. But I feel like soon, I will be graduating from it and trying out some better cameras. I don’t feel like I have graduated from this camera yet, so that is why I’m researching and saving up now so I have the money when I do feel like it’s time to move on.

I’ve been looking into the canon 1DX mark ii as I am about 60% video and 40% photo. I love the 120 FPS and autofocus on this thing. But I’ve also been looking at the Sony a7iii. Only issue is that I’m an invested canon user and it would be a hassle to switch.

I like the smaller body (it’s a bit too small for me) of the Sony and the log.

The canon overall I like a lot more.

I guess I’m asking for your opinion as to which camera would you recommend both of your own suggestion and of the two above!

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Take a look at the Canon Cinema EOS C100 at B&H Photo Video.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

When you get to the point that over half of your intended "shooting" is video then it is seriously time to consider whether you want to add a dedicated video camera and then later upgrade your current DSLR to a better model as you outgrow it.  It is nice that most DSLR bodies offer video capability but they are designed foremost as good still image devices. None of the DSLR bodies offer the cooling capabilities of cameras designed for video and most will be crippled with the <30 minute maximum recording time to avoid the higher VAT.  On the other hand I wouldn't dare shoot with my XF-400 in the same weather conditions as my 1DX and 1DX II bodies because the dedicated cooling fan and vents of the camcorder don't provide the weather protection of the 1DX series and its heat pipe cooling system.

I shot a little video with my 1DX 2 before deciding that even for the limited sports video use I needed a camcorder was a better choice.  I considered the EOS cinema series so that I could use my EF lens collection with them but ultimately decided the XF-400 camcorder and its form factor was better suited for my needs.  As suggested in the previous post the C100 could be a good option for you depending upon your intended use.

I still shoot a little short video now and then with my 1DX and 1DX 2 bodies but those are very short clips done out of convenience; for anything more involved I use the XF-400 camcorder.  It is a bit of a learning curve because not only the control layout but the basic control/menu philosophy is far different from the DSLR bodies but it wasn't too bad however going from my 1D Mark II to a 1DX body took about an hour to feel fully comfortable compared to several days of usage for the camcorder.  I never got as far as putting hands on one of the EOS cinema series so I don't know how the learning curve for it compares.  For me video is very secondary to shooting still images and I doubt that I will ever put the effort or time into fully utilizing the capabilities of the XF-400 like I do my 1 series DSLR bodies and lenses.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

@wq9nsc wrote:

I never got as far as putting hands on one of the EOS cinema series so I don't know how the learning curve for it compares.  For me video is very secondary to shooting still images and I doubt that I will ever put the effort or time into fully utilizing the capabilities of the XF-400 like I do my 1 series DSLR bodies and lenses.

Rodger

I love mine.  I get to use my EF lenses, built-in ND filter, 10-bit 4:22 output to an external Ninja recorder, Canon Log, Dual Pixel AF with selected STM zoom lenses, and more. 

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/cinema-eos/eos-c100

It is a professional grade, cinema quality video camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements