cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Camera Body to get 1D, 5D, 7D 5DSR

brillmtb
Apprentice

I shoot mostly baseball, fast sports, but want a camera that is a step up from my 60d which is fairly fast but now shooting in RAW + JPEG, low light, fast action, I am pushing the limits.  Have the f2.8 70-200 so I have upgraded lens already.  

Also, with rumors of 7D mark iv vs discontinuing I started thinking should I even wait for the next generation.  Perhaps just jump off and get the 1D X and have 14fps and image quality that under every circumstance should be better than anything else cannon currently makes?

Then there is the 5DRS, lot slower fps is my concern.  Understand that more MP but is 20 enough on the Mark 1 or is a newer version due to hit the street soon that I should wait for to get the best of both worlds.

Then there is the 5D, better quality shots, less expensive but again slower than even my 60d although I would argue that in real world shotting I noticed the 7d shooting way faster than my 60d with the same lens. Granted it is rated 10fps to my 7 but I think the processor power allows for full operation under conditions where mine could not get to 7 even.  

Thoughts?  

8 REPLIES 8

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

For fast sports action, the 1DX 2 with proper lens setup is the best currently available from Canon.  I use a 1DX 2 with a 300 F2.8 and a 1DX with 70-200 2.8 for high school football and soccer, they make an excellent combo.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

You need to be careful when considering different bodies because your lens works the same whether it's full frame, 1.3 crop or 1.6 crop but the images are not of the same field of viwe. I'm not going to do the math for you but the difference between a full frame body & 1.6 crop body is huge in how many pixels you have on target. Files from a 5D SR  when cropped to the same field of view as those from a 7D2 (that's the current model) are very close in size. In other words those extra (& expensive pixels) won't be there unless you get a longer lens.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Which Camera Body to get 1D, 5D, 7D 5DSR...

Do you have a planned budget for this purchase, or is it the "sky's the limit"?  I'm not asking because I think the 1DX2 is the answer.  I actually don't think its the right body for your use, but it would be helpful for us if you would establish some sort of budget.  Also - Do you always use a tripod, need something more portable.  Also agree with cicopo, more pixels doesn't equal = Better.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Don't kid yourself. There is a reason more pros, sports pros, use the 1 series, currently on the 1DX Mk II, that any other camera.  It is THE choice. Plus you have the satisfaction that is the 1DX Mk II can't do the job, nothing else will either.

If the cost is too high consider a used 1DX. Still a by far best choice.

"Have the f2.8 70-200 so I have upgraded lens already."

I love that lens. It goes with me everywhere. However, there s another that does a fantastic job in the sports arena. The Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens. I also take it everywhere but it is heavy so if you aren't in the need of 300mm at f2.8, use the Canon. On my 1D Mk IV the big Siggy, nearly 400mm f2.8 of equivalent FL, really does a nice job.

You need the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens, too, BTW.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Don't kid yourself. There is a reason more pros, sports pros, use the 1 series, currently on the 1DX Mk II, that any other camera.  It is THE choice. Plus you have the satisfaction that is the 1DX Mk II can't do the job, nothing else will either.

If the cost is too high consider a used 1DX. Still a by far best choice.

"Have the f2.8 70-200 so I have upgraded lens already."

I love that lens. It goes with me everywhere. However, there s another that does a fantastic job in the sports arena. The Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM Lens. I also take it everywhere but it is heavy so if you aren't in the need of 300mm at f2.8, use the Canon. On my 1D Mk IV the big Siggy, nearly 400mm f2.8 of equivalent FL, really does a nice job.

You need the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens, too, BTW.

What does "nearly 400mm ... of equivalent FL" mean in this context? Is the 1D4 not a FF camera?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

1D, 1D2, 1D2n, 1D3 & 1D4 are all 1.3 crop bodies. That sensor size was retired after the 1D4 production ended.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

I am thinking of getting he1dx mark 3 as it may be out prior to the olympics?

Perhaps in the meantime I will rent a 5d and 1dx 2 and see how they do to meet my needs?

Announcements