cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy Canon original accessories ??

ezpop
Rising Star

The original boxes with some accessories of my new purchase. 7D Mk2 and 24 70 F4IS were taken by somebody from my front porch. (My bad. I put the Canon boxes inside a snow thrower box. The big box was left outside the front porch pending sorting for disposal and it was gone in an hour)

Now, I just have the camera and lens plus chargers and caps. Everything else is gone.

I am looking to buy back whatever is missing. I have emailed Canon e-store but have not received reply from them. Any suggestions where to buy back the missing cable protector, USB cable, disc, lens hood, lens pouch and others.

Thanks for any experience shared.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Skirball
Authority

Ouch.  At least you got the camera and lens back.  First time I read it I thought those were stolen.

You can go straight to the Canon store and should be able to get most that stuff, but I wouldn't bother.

Go to Amazon and search for "EW-83L".  You can get an official lens hood direct from Canon for $50, or a generic for $15.  I know what I'd do, but I know plenty that would shell out the $50.

I definately wouldn't buy an offical Canon USB cable, not that one exists.  Go to Amazon and search for "mini USB ferrite".  USB cables are cheap, and mostly the same.  Just make sure it has the ferrite core (it's a filter for high frequency noise).  I have dozens of generic USB cables, any of them with ferrite core work fine.

THe lens pouch, if you want it, can be had on eBay for cheap I'm sure.  You mentioned snow, which means you live nowhere near me, otherwise I'd just give you one of mine.  Never saw much a use for them.

Don't worry about the disc, you can DL anything online:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii

No idea what the cable protector is, but probably not necessary either.

View solution in original post

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I'm trying to figure out what "everything else" is that's gone missing.

The lens would have included a storage bag, the lens hood, and a front & back cap.  It would have also included an instruction sheet (you can download that electronically) and the warranty card (but you can register that online and don't need the card.)

You can get a list of everything that would have been in the box here:  http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#BoxContent

Basically it would have had

- camera body (which you have)

- body cap (not sure if you have that, but that's easily replaced)

- Canon wide strap for 7D II (and this would have had a small rubber eyepiece cover on the strap for taking long exposure shots.  But if you've attached that to the camera -- and most people do -- then I suspect you still have that.

- Battery charger LC-E6 (but I think you said you have that)

- Battery LP-E6N (but I suspect that was probably in your camera if you have the camera - so hopefully that's fine)

- USB interface cable (you probably lost that, but fortunately it's easily replaced and it's a standard cable you could pick up most anywhere.  Just make sure the USB cable has the USB "mini" connector on the camera side AND that (very important) the cable is not a "charging" cable.  These cables are often used for charging mobile phones and those cables typically don't wire the data pins... just the power pins.  The camera needs a cable with "data" pins.

- Digital Solutions Disk (downloadable at Canon website - no loss there.  In fact the download is probably more current than the disk.)

- Instruction manual (also downloadable)

- Warranty card (but you can register the camera online and do not need the physical warranty card.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Skirball
Authority

Ouch.  At least you got the camera and lens back.  First time I read it I thought those were stolen.

You can go straight to the Canon store and should be able to get most that stuff, but I wouldn't bother.

Go to Amazon and search for "EW-83L".  You can get an official lens hood direct from Canon for $50, or a generic for $15.  I know what I'd do, but I know plenty that would shell out the $50.

I definately wouldn't buy an offical Canon USB cable, not that one exists.  Go to Amazon and search for "mini USB ferrite".  USB cables are cheap, and mostly the same.  Just make sure it has the ferrite core (it's a filter for high frequency noise).  I have dozens of generic USB cables, any of them with ferrite core work fine.

THe lens pouch, if you want it, can be had on eBay for cheap I'm sure.  You mentioned snow, which means you live nowhere near me, otherwise I'd just give you one of mine.  Never saw much a use for them.

Don't worry about the disc, you can DL anything online:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii

No idea what the cable protector is, but probably not necessary either.

Or...  looks like you can go to Amazon and get a lens bag direct from Canon for only $30  Smiley Indifferent

I think I will have to accept buying non OEM replacement for whatever Canon do not have. Still waiting for their reply.

I just discovered that I have USB 3.0 cable for my external hard drive which can be used on the camera. I can DIY a cable protector if I need it at all. I will use my 7D strap on it. Hesitate to use ebay lens hood and I will buy one from Canon direct.

I have immediately registered my products online and keep the receipt in a safe place just in case.

Thanks for your help.

@ezpop wrote:

I just discovered that I have USB 3.0 cable for my external hard drive which can be used on the camera. I can DIY a cable protector if I need it at all. I will use my 7D strap on it. Hesitate to use ebay lens hood and I will buy one from Canon direct.

Sorry, I totally forgot that the 7d2 moved to 3.0.  THere was some discussion about that awhile ago.  Someone commented on it being different but didn't know what it was.  I suspected it would be a USB 3.0 micro, even though that would mean Canon is (finally) making the jump from mini to micro.  Only because I've never seen a 3.0 mini.  Is that what it is?  If so, just note that you should also be able to use any 2.0 mini and plug into half of it (although it would be slower, of course).

You could also get an 'aftermarket' strap.  A lot of people do regardless because they want a bigger one, or thicker, or softer, or with quick links, or a harness, etc.  I like the idea of not having my shoulder be a advertisement for Canon, but I'm just not into accessorizing enough to bother.

For the eBay lens hood, I meant finding an original.  I'm sure there are plenty on there.  Otherwise just get it through Amazon.  You can order direct from Canon, through Amazon.  It's much quicker.   Just verify that the vendor is Canon.  As to generic lens hoods.  I've owned plenty, only one in particular has been bad.  None of them are quite as fancy as the canon (they don't have that inner felt lining), but they function all the same.  YMMV.

You are right about the cable. USB 3.0 and my other cable for Samsung Galaxy S5 works the same. Othe USB2.0 micro fits as well but obviously slower.

I used hand strap and sometimes BP sling strap. (both works for me) (the original may be good for future resale years later)

I have ordered the original lens hood from Canon. Bad experience using 3rd party ebay cheap item. Some are poor quality and won't fit very well. One scratched the thread of my 70 200 2.8.

Thanks

"Bad experience using 3rd party ebay cheap item. Some are poor quality and won't fit very well."

Totally agree.  Most of that stuff isn't worth the shipping cost.  Certainly not worth the risk of failure when it counts most.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Bad experience using 3rd party ebay cheap item. Some are poor quality and won't fit very well."

Certainly not worth the risk of failure when it counts most.

Yeah, I know a guy who had lens hood failure once.  Poor guy never made it out alive.  All because he didn't want to spend $59.95 on a piece of plastic.  Poor schmuck.

@Skirball wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Certainly not worth the risk of failure when it counts most.

Yeah, I know a guy who had lens hood failure once.  Poor guy never made it out alive.  All because he didn't want to spend $59.95 on a piece of plastic.  Poor schmuck.

One compromise between getting your pocket picked and having a lens hood sever an artery is to order generic equipment from one of the big stores, like B&H. They may not be as cheap as E-Bay, but you can usually return anything you don't like.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

Don't get me wrong.  I am all for saving money when I can.  And, yes, B&H is great.  I was not meaning to limit this to just lens hoods which are really not all that deadly.  But some guys are just cheap.  You are actually buying the gears for your clients.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements