When will the 5d mark iv be available and what size sensor will it have

paul_diamond
Apprentice

When will the 5d mark iv be available

5 REPLIES 5

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

We do not know. And even if we did it is against the terms of this board to discuss it.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Ahhh... speculating about an unreleased product.  Your best bet is to go to one of the websites that tracks and reports on the rumors.

Ultimately those who are talking aren't "in the know" and those who really are "in the know" aren't talking.

There is enough noise about the next 5D body that there probably is a release "soon".  But "soon" could be a year from now.

True story:  

After shooting film (35mm and medium format) for years, I would just occasionally "test" a digital body to see how I liked them.  Most were disappointing (in those early years of digital).  Eventually I was seeing enough advancement that I thought it might be time to get a DSLR... I wanted a full-frame body but was intimidated by the price tag.  So I "dipped my toe" into the DSLR waters by purchasing a Rebel T1i to see how I liked it.  

It turns out I did like it and decided it was time to get that 5D II camera that I wanted... and there's where all the trouble started.

Everyone told me "DON'T BUY NOW" because Canon was about to release a newer 5D model.... probably within 3-6 months. No problem... I'll wait it out for 3-6 months to get the updated model.  So I waited.  6 months later... nothing.  But there were NEW rumors... even more confident than the previous rumors... that the new 5D III would be out in 3-6 months.  So I waited again... still nothing.    But there were even more rumors so I waited another 6 months... after that... even I was feeling pretty confident that it had been so long that SURELY something was about to be released.  

I literally waited 2 years.

While on a business trip, my partner (knowing that I'd always wanted this camera) bought the 5D II as a birthday present (I happened to be returning home on my birthday).  I was really happy with it.  It was (and still is) a great camera.

Naturally... 3 months later Canon announced the 5D III.  <sigh>

The lesson here is ... you can wait it out based on the rumors if you want to wait.  But if you don't have a camera today and you need one, I'd just buy what I need.  If Canon does release something and you've taken good care of it (gently used) then you can probably sell it on eBay ... take a hit on the price (think of it as a "rental" fee) and use those funds to buy the next camera.  

One thing Canon HAS traditionally done... the camera comes out at a higher price point... and then as the years tick by without a refresh, that price point starts to drop (either by rebates being offered all the time, or by an actual price adjustment).  

When the 5D III first released, it was about $3500 for the "body only" version.  Today you can get a brand new 5D III "body only" for $2599 (from a legit dealer -- not an "important"/gray-market body).  

But you can bet that when Canon releases the next iteration of the 5D line... it'll likely be right back up to that higher price point (do not expect a 5D mk IV ... or whatever it will be ... to release at a $2599 price tag.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thank you for the good advice.

@TCampbell wrote:

Ahhh... speculating about an unreleased product.  Your best bet is to go to one of the websites that tracks and reports on the rumors.

[Tale of woe omitted] 

When the 5D III first released, it was about $3500 for the "body only" version.  Today you can get a brand new 5D III "body only" for $2599 (from a legit dealer -- not an "important"/gray-market body).  

But you can bet that when Canon releases the next iteration of the 5D line... it'll likely be right back up to that higher price point (do not expect a 5D mk IV ... or whatever it will be ... to release at a $2599 price tag.)

Moreover, some early copies of the 5D3 had a very annoying light leak that required a trip back to the Canon shop. (I forget whether it affected the pictures the camera took, but I believe it screwed up the metering.) New models often have bugs, and it can be beneficial to wait until those are found and fixed.

The Mark III was a huge improvement over the Mark II; and as Tim says, it's never been cheaper. There may be something to be said for buying one just as the Mark IV comes out, before they're all gone.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"When will the 5d mark iv be available"

Personally, I am not a waiter.  Don't like waiting.  I would rather have it today and start taking pictures today. How many opportunities are you missing by waiting?  The 5d4 will be fantastic but the 5d3 is not shabby in its own right.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements