cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will canon fix the focus issues with the 70D?

Photogirl55
Apprentice

I was "T.H.I.S." close to buying the 70D.  I have read WAYYY too many posts about issues with the focusing on the 70D.  How is Canon handling the issue?  I would love to buy this camera, but not willing to gamble with that much money.

223 REPLIES 223

I had this camera and some good lenses. I also had the VERY SAME problem with my camera. Tested again and again and also had it checked by a pro-friend. I realized that I was helpless and could do nothing about it. And moreover, there are a bunch of people in this forum who make people with this problem read their replies and feel so frustrated. My guess is they are paid by Canon to watch the forum and reply with such messages. Otherwise their replies are TOTALLY USELESS. Taking pictures should not be so difficult. I just SOLD the camera and moved on.....

@kkgiyer wrote:

I had this camera and some good lenses. I also had the VERY SAME problem with my camera. Tested again and again and also had it checked by a pro-friend. I realized that I was helpless and could do nothing about it. And moreover, there are a bunch of people in this forum who make people with this problem read their replies and feel so frustrated. My guess is they are paid by Canon to watch the forum and reply with such messages. Otherwise their replies are TOTALLY USELESS. Taking pictures should not be so difficult. I just SOLD the camera and moved on.....

What VERY SAME problem? The perfectly normal difference between Liveview AF and the Viewfinder's PDAF that can be fixed by micro focus adjustment? Or an adnormal substantial variation between different viewfinder PDAF focus points? 

Did you do MFA on both the center AF point and the surrounding AF points?

Did the MFA settings vary subtantially (more than 😎 between the center AF point and the surrounding AF points?

You think only you are smart...and others cannot google and try to help themselves...? Tried every possible option suggested on the internet, spent days with the hope that I will get that crisp looking picture. NEVER happened. May be there are some lucky few who get it...but I am sure there are many many people who are not.

kkgiyer wrote:
You think only you are smart...and others cannot google and try to help themselves...? Tried every possible option suggested on the internet, spent days with the hope that I will get that crisp looking picture. NEVER happened. May be there are some lucky few who get it...but I am sure there are many many people who are not.

If your camera has an issue by all means send it into Canon to get it fixed. I'm not saying every 70D is perfect.

What I am saying is there is no systemic issue with the 70D's AF. And that it is perfectly normal to need to do a micro focus adjustment to get Liveview AF and the viewfinder's PDAF to match.

@kkgiyer wrote:
Tried every possible option suggested on the internet, spent days with the hope that I will get that crisp looking picture.

TT is absolutely right - a faulty camera here or there does not equal a systemic issue with the 70D. Mine is fantastic, even wide open at f/2.8 - which is impossible, according to some on here.

Besides - what the quoted section above singularly hasn't ruled out is that you are the problem. What have you done to rule you out? I know what I'm doing; I don't know that's true of you... 

@kkgiyer wrote:

Some like (TT) try to help but since they have never had a problem like these 70D's have they just give out the same answers. Then there is the idiots like the other guy who will just claim his camera has no problem so they are all good.

Sending it in to canon is a long, exspensive and frustrating process. Especially since you are going to have to do it many times before tehy ever get it fixed. If they ever do. If your camera had the same problem as many of the 70D's did then your best choice is to just get rid of it and move on. 

The problem is that many dont have the real 70D focus issue but because they have heard of it they just assume any problem there camera has must be the 70D focus issue.

If your 70D has this issue just get rid of it. Your chances of getting it fixed are slim.

[link removed per forum guidelines]

If it is not that same "exact" issue it might be something that can be corrected. 

70Downer wrote: 

Some like (TT) try to help but since they have never had a problem like these 70D's have they just give out the same answers. Then there is the idiots like the other guy who will just claim his camera has no problem so they are all good.

Sending it in to canon is a long, exspensive and frustrating process. Especially since you are going to have to do it many times before tehy ever get it fixed. If they ever do. If your camera had the same problem as many of the 70D's did then your best choice is to just get rid of it and move on.

The problem is that many dont have the real 70D focus issue but because they have heard of it they just assume any problem there camera has must be the 70D focus issue.

If your 70D has this issue just get rid of it. Your chances of getting it fixed are slim.

[link removed per forum guidelines]

If it is not that same "exact" issue it might be something that can be corrected. 

I do understand the ACTUAL issue that some 70D owners had. That was that the high precision f/2.8 center AF focus point, was focusing differently than the surrounding f/5.6 focus points.And I already mentioned in my previous posts how to see if you have the actual issue.

I'm not just giving out a standard answer, not understanding the issue.

The problem is that people who do NOT understand want the actual issue was, think that it is when there is a difference between Liveview AF and the viewfinders PDAF there is an issue with the camera. This is NORMAL and is easily corrected using micro focus adjustment.

Canon has had my EOS70D back three times, if it was a simple micro focus adjustment needed why haven't they just done that.
If you buy a new car you do not expect to start messing with the engine to get it to run right!

@Dobbsincrete wrote:
Canon has had my EOS70D back three times, if it was a simple micro focus adjustment needed why haven't they just done that.
If you buy a new car you do not expect to start messing with the engine to get it to run right!

Did you send the lens into Canon along with the camera?

The complete camera kit which included the EF-S 18 - 135 lens.

Announcements