cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will canon fix the focus issues with the 70D?

Photogirl55
Apprentice

I was "T.H.I.S." close to buying the 70D.  I have read WAYYY too many posts about issues with the focusing on the 70D.  How is Canon handling the issue?  I would love to buy this camera, but not willing to gamble with that much money.

223 REPLIES 223

@70Downer wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

And as I previously stated if you think you have a problem with your camera send it into Canon for repair. But, after 3 trips to Canon it's time to consider that the issue isn't with the camera..

Is that what it tells you? That taking 3 times for canon to be able to fix their camera that its the owners fault. Not that canon has no clue and simply goes through a set of steps to waste your time and money? Hoping that you will just give up and stop sending it in. But just to play your stupid little game, if it was the owner thats the problem how did magically get fixed the third time. If it was the owner shouldnt the problem remain the same?

No it could not be the camera or the techs. 

Trip one to canon for af issue. They test the camera, clean the sensor and return it.

Same day I get the camera back I can tell its not fixed. Email canon tech support. They have me send in two pictures. The same day "Seems like a auto focus issue, send in for repair"

Second trip to canon they make adjustments to the mirror and sensor. Then send it back. I have the camera less then 20 minutes and can tell its not fixed. Email canon tech support send them 2 pictures...sure enough "Focus Issue, send in for repair"

This time I included a lens and told them after they "fix it" they calibrate the 35 f2 to the camera. So that it could be perfect at 30 feet, f2.8. They "fixed" the camera and then tried to calibrate the lens and quickly figured out they could not calibrate the lens because the camera would need a different mfa on every shot. Soi it went back to the repair tech who changed a bunch of crap including but not limited to the mirror, the prism, the af sensor and the fpc sensor.

Bingo camera fixed and i have really enjoyed it ever since. Would have been nice to not have to have my camera gone for a total of 7 weeks and almost $100.00 in shipping charges for a new camera to work right. 

But since it went to repair 3 times it must have be all operator issues, right?

Many people went through this same crap with canon, many just gave up and got rid of the camera. To this day when people ask me about the camera i am shooting I tell them to stay far away from the 70D and if you dont already have lenses to go nikon.

Not all 70D have this same focus issue but far more then A FEW do and I would love to know why canon changed the firmware mid stream and kept the same revision number. And i wish they would fix the bounce flash issue that affects every 70D, but I am sure that is user error as well.

Well said 70Downer! It makes my blood boil when I read replies specifically from two contributors...they just keep spitting the same thing again and again. I wish people start flagging their replies as inappropriate or if there a way, just banish from the forum altogether. May they have valid points here and there...but it is time they just keep quite and others handle it. Or as I said they are paid representatives from Canon.

@70Downer wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

And as I previously stated if you think you have a problem with your camera send it into Canon for repair. But, after 3 trips to Canon it's time to consider that the issue isn't with the camera..

Is that what it tells you? That taking 3 times for canon to be able to fix their camera that its the owners fault. Not that canon has no clue and simply goes through a set of steps to waste your time and money? Hoping that you will just give up and stop sending it in. But just to play your stupid little game, if it was the owner thats the problem how did magically get fixed the third time. If it was the owner shouldnt the problem remain the same?

No it could not be the camera or the techs. 

Trip one to canon for af issue. They test the camera, clean the sensor and return it.

Same day I get the camera back I can tell its not fixed. Email canon tech support. They have me send in two pictures. The same day "Seems like a auto focus issue, send in for repair"

Second trip to canon they make adjustments to the mirror and sensor. Then send it back. I have the camera less then 20 minutes and can tell its not fixed. Email canon tech support send them 2 pictures...sure enough "Focus Issue, send in for repair"

This time I included a lens and told them after they "fix it" they calibrate the 35 f2 to the camera. So that it could be perfect at 30 feet, f2.8. They "fixed" the camera and then tried to calibrate the lens and quickly figured out they could not calibrate the lens because the camera would need a different mfa on every shot. Soi it went back to the repair tech who changed a bunch of crap including but not limited to the mirror, the prism, the af sensor and the fpc sensor.

Bingo camera fixed and i have really enjoyed it ever since. Would have been nice to not have to have my camera gone for a total of 7 weeks and almost $100.00 in shipping charges for a new camera to work right. 

But since it went to repair 3 times it must have be all operator issues, right?

Many people went through this same crap with canon, many just gave up and got rid of the camera. To this day when people ask me about the camera i am shooting I tell them to stay far away from the 70D and if you dont already have lenses to go nikon.

Not all 70D have this same focus issue but far more then A FEW do and I would love to know why canon changed the firmware mid stream and kept the same revision number. And i wish they would fix the bounce flash issue that affects every 70D, but I am sure that is user error as well.

It was repaired on the third trip correct?

@TTMartin wrote:

It was repaired on the third trip correct?

Yes they did after 3 attempts, how is your 70D with focus issues doing? Or do you even have a 70D?

This is a warning to everyone in this thread:

The Canon USA Community Forums are intended to be a safe place for users to come and seek out advice and assistance from peers.

Personal attacks on other users will NOT be tolerated. Anyone in this thread found doing so from this point on will be banned from participating in these forums as outlined in the Forum Guidelines.

Please read the Forum Guidelines in their entirety if you have any questions: http://bit.ly/Canon_Forum_Guidelines

@70Downer - This is probably the most practical advice for this problem. It hurts to sell the camera to a person knowing there is (or there may be) a problem. So I sold it to to the shop from where I bought it. When the problem was mentioned all over the internet and even when many people has written about sending to Canon and getting it back, when I had contacted Canon, the first response was - We have never heard of this problem!. 

For people thinking about buying this camera, I recommend staying away from this product. This is not a pro camera and most people buying this camera probably are only hobbyists and not making a living shooting pictures. They don't have so much time in testing all the lenses and correcting them for perfection. The thing is even with correction, you may not get the 100% satisfaction that you expect. When othere cameras in this segment can achieve this with so much ease, nobody should even bother to buy this or try this in the first place. 

And if you must buy this, please spend all the time during the return period in only testing it for this proble

@kkgiyer wrote:

@70Downer - This is probably the most practical advice for this problem. It hurts to sell the camera to a person knowing there is (or there may be) a problem. So I sold it to to the shop from where I bought it. When the problem was mentioned all over the internet and even when many people has written about sending to Canon and getting it back, when I had contacted Canon, the first response was - We have never heard of this problem!. 

For people thinking about buying this camera, I recommend staying away from this product. This is not a pro camera and most people buying this camera probably are only hobbyists and not making a living shooting pictures. They don't have so much time in testing all the lenses and correcting them for perfection. The thing is even with correction, you may not get the 100% satisfaction that you expect. When othere cameras in this segment can achieve this with so much ease, nobody should even bother to buy this or try this in the first place. 

And if you must buy this, please spend all the time during the return period in only testing it for this proble

I have been shooting canon since the AE-1. I tell everyboidy I know about how bad the 70D is. Telling them to not only stay away from the 70D but Canon all together. It would be different if you got a bad one and you sent it in and they replaced it with a known good one. Instead they keep sending you back the same camera  not fixed several times. After 3 trips and paying for shipping 3 times they finally got mine fixed. You should not have to do that with a new camera. Especially after its a known problem that MANY people are experiancing. Between that and the bouce flash bug that every 70D has and they refuse to even acknowelde you would think it would be a simple firmware update. but instead canon just burries their head in the sand and says "i dont see a bounce flash issue"

@Dobbsincrete wrote:
  1. Sorry to be a pain on this issue, but to me (not a professional photographer), the viewfinder is the preferential method of viewing the subject, the monitor is for viewing the photograph taken. In the case of the EOS70D, the articulated screen does give you the added ability to view the subject from those difficult angles that would be impossible looking through the viewfinder. Now Canon have produced a camera where using the viewfinder does not take such a good picture. That can't be right can it?

After you micro focus adjust your lenses, you will see that your viewfinder takes perfectly good pictures. So you are not limited to only using Liveview. You just need to micro focus adjust your lenses. I recommend you Google for and use the 'DotTune method'.

@Dobbsincrete wrote:
. Now Canon have produced a camera where using the viewfinder does not take such a good picture. That can't be right can it?
Well that statement isn't, anyway.

Airjaff
Apprentice
Hello I bought a 70d online had it delivered 3 days ago. I'm using a sigma 18-35mm lens, that camera I have prior (still have it) is canon 650d and the lens works perfectly in that. With this 70d the focus is out every time when focusing through the viewfinder and is in focus every time when I focus in live view mode. I have done macro focus adjustments, I did this close up at first and it seemed to work but then I started taking pictures of subjects further away and they were out of focus every **bleep** time! Again they were in focus in live view every time I'm so disappointed. I am not going to risk exchanging for another 70d. I really do want a new camera though. Why has canon not addressed this issue, reading online this issues has been going on for 2 years now! Does anyone have any tips? Should I return or get it sent to canon, or should I get a 7d mark ii? I'd rather not spend so much money though.

@Airjaff wrote:
Hello I bought a 70d online had it delivered 3 days ago. I'm using a sigma 18-35mm lens, that camera I have prior (still have it) is canon 650d and the lens works perfectly in that. With this 70d the focus is out every time when focusing through the viewfinder and is in focus every time when I focus in live view mode. I have done macro focus adjustments, I did this close up at first and it seemed to work but then I started taking pictures of subjects further away and they were out of focus every **bleep** time! Again they were in focus in live view every time I'm so disappointed. I am not going to risk exchanging for another 70d. I really do want a new camera though. Why has canon not addressed this issue, reading online this issues has been going on for 2 years now! Does anyone have any tips? Should I return or get it sent to canon, or should I get a 7d mark ii? I'd rather not spend so much money though.

Search you tube for 70d bad focus. Tody has some videos up on it. 

One way to test it is to follow the test by toby. If it fails that  test just get rid of it. The odds of canon fixing are slim. Go the 7d if you need super fast focus, if not go with the 6d. My recomendation would be to sell your lens and go nikon. Canon has no desire or ability to put out a fix for the many bad 70d's focus issue and no fix for a bounce flash issue that affects ALMOST EVERY 70d.

Announcements