cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will a 70D model be available with extra storage slots and audio headphone jack?

neckyeskia
Apprentice

Really like this camera, but I'm reluctant to buy it because it is missing the above noted features.  Seems like a no-brainer to me if Canon wanted to stomp the D7100, but what do I know.  Any chance an upgraded model will come out in the next year?

4 REPLIES 4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There is always a new model coming out!  Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Skirball
Authority

@neckyeskia wrote:

Really like this camera, but I'm reluctant to buy it because it is missing the above noted features.  Seems like a no-brainer to me if Canon wanted to stomp the D7100, but what do I know.  Any chance an upgraded model will come out in the next year?

I suppose there's a chance, but I'd call it unlikely.  Early on the XXd series had a lifecycle of about a year and a half, but the 60D was released in 2010 and was just replaced by the 70D.  Although nobody knows ultimately what the Canon overlords will decide to do, in general they try to extend the lifecycle of the more advanced cameras while pushing out 'new' Rebels every year regardless of whether or not there's something new.

As far as an audio jack, who knows.  Canon seems to try to limit features on different models to encourage upgrading.  I could see them using 'serious videography features' to try to push people into something like a 7d2 or 5d3.

"So what you're saying is there's a chance?" - hopefully the powers that be decide to add these features to the future 7d or the 80d?

Sure there's a chance.  The 40D had a life cycle of just over a year.  But the chance of them rushing out a 80D and it having the two features you mention, is probably slim.   I don't pay much attention to headphone jacks, but dual slots for some reason Canon has reserved for all but the "pro" cameras.  Even though up until the 5d3 release there were many more photographers shooting weddings with 5d2 than there were 1D series.  I would consider that extremely limiting if I was a wedding photog.  But then again, it seems most kids out there these days have 5d3s, so I guess I wedding photog might as well too.  Other manufacturers, even Nikon, aren't so limiting in their features, but until it takes a bite out of Canon's profits they're probably not going to change their MO. 

Announcements