cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I need the pop up flash on my EOS 7D, I get an "err 05" message. ???

Willo
Apprentice

The camera doesn't flash and no photo is taken.  It tries to open the flash but it won't release.  

13 REPLIES 13

Mykolas
Authority

Hi Willo!

Thank you for posting!

Please ensure nothing is obstructing the flash.  Please also try removing the battery from the camera for a few minutes, then try raising the flash again.  If it is still stuck and you receive the error, then the camera will need to be repaired.

To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I actually did the things you suggested but it still doesn't pop up at times.  It works most of the time but not everytime.  I am going to go to the Canon store and see if they have any suggestions as well before I get it serviced.  Maybe it's something I am doing wrong. ??? Thanks for your reply.

I had the same problem (and many others have, too).  I sent my camera in for repair while still under warranty, and it came back with a note saying that the pop-up flash internal mechanism was dusty.  They cleaned it out and claim that it works like new.  I haven't had enough time to verify that.  What's surprising to me is that I keep my camera very clean, even when outdoors.  I don't ever recall a situation where the body got dusty, so I'm curious how the dust got into the flash mechanism.  More importantly, how can I protect against this failure in the future?  I'm glad that Canon fixed the problem, but it cost me $40 in round-trip shipping fees.

Charlie, did you see "amfoto1"'s response to my query?  I think his idea is the best.  Just don't use the pop-up as it seems to be a common problem and may be related to the micro size pop-up pin.  If you didn't see his response I can copy and paste it for you .... it seems to be the logical thing to do if one is having this problem.

William Blasdel, Miami, Fl.

Thanks, William.  Yes, I was able to see the post you mentioned.  It offers a lot of helpful advice that I'll follow in the future.  I wish that Canon and other technology companies would stop trying to apply technology where it doesn't belong.  I have a Canon SX230 point & shoot camera that has a flash that pops up automatically on power-up, but I can prevent that by holding it down.  If I later decide to use the flash, I can simply lift it manually, without any motors.  I like the fact that I can override the flash up/down manually.  I wish Canon would simplify the flash on the 7D and other cameras like it.  In their quest to have electronic control over everything, they overlooked an opportunity to simply put a manual latch in place of a motor-driven one.  They still need the microswitch or some other way  to determine the open/closed state of the flash, but why is it necessary to add another motor into the camera which can be another point fo failure (it is!)?

Anyway, thanks for your help.  I'm out $40 for my troubles and I missed some great photos last weekend while my camera was away, but I'm now armed with more info about this issue.

amfoto1
Authority

This is a fairly common problem on many Canon cameras.

Usually it's a simple fix related to the micro-switch under one of the leaf springs in the hot shoe, that's there to prevent the built-in flash from opening when something is mounted in the hot shoe. Usually it's just that the micro-switch's spring loaded, actuating "pin" isn't returning fully and the camera "thinks" something is mounted in the shoe. More rarely it's dust or dirt that gets into the micro-switch and causes that pin to stick.

Go to this website and take a look at the eleventh photo (counting down from the top of the page). That shows the little "button" of the micro-switch under the leaf spring, that's the top of the actuating pin. Other photos there address other problems (loose hot shoe, etc.) And the section with the eleventh image is actually showing how to replace the little pin in the micro-switch, should it be lost.

However the most common problem is simply that the pin isn't able to pop up fully for some reason. And often there is no need to disassemble the hot shoe at all, to correct the problem with the micro-switch. Once you have located the switch in your camera's hot shoe, simply use a precision screwdriver or wooden toothpick to "lift" the leaf spring slightly, to allow the micro-switch to pop back up all the way. Maybe tap on the top of the pin to "coax" it into springing back up fuly. This is frequently all that's needed. Sometimes you need to slide the tool toward the rear of the camera while it's under the leaf spring, to gently and slightly bend that spring so that it gives a little more room for the micro-switch pin to pop up.

If this doesn't work, there might be dust or dirt in that pin keeping it from springing back up fully. To clean that would mean some minor disassembly. (See other photos at that website.)

More rarely, there can be issues around the flash hinge area... dirt or just some lubrication needed so that the flash can properly open (usually when this is occuring the flash opens, but only partially).

Another thing that can happen, but rarely does, is the latch holding the flash closed doesn't fully release and prevents the flash from opening. It might have gotten bent during use or there may be dirt in the mechanism. Very rarely it actually fails and needs replacement. You can test if this is occuring after checking the micro-swicth and finding the flash still doesn't open properly. To test, make sure nothing is in the hot shoe and the camera is turned on, then press the "flash" button while using your fingernail to help coax the flash open. If it seems securely latched closed when doing this, there may be a problem with the latch itself.

If none of the above works, or perhaps you just don't feel comfortable fiddling around with things to try to fix yourself, send your camera in to Canon... Especially if it's still under warranty.

But, quite frankly, in my opinion the best and easiest solution is to just not use the built-in flash at all. One of my two 7Ds has a "stuck flash" that I've never bothered fixing. In twelve years using Canon cameras, most with built-in flashes, I can probably count the number of times I've used a built-in flash on one hand. In fact, I've accidentally pressed the flash release button and had the flash pop up unwanted or gotten ERR05 far, far more often than I've actually purposely tried to use any built-in flash. So I simply don't care if the built-in flash on my 7D works or not.

Why? Well for one thing the built-in flash is in just about the worst possible place to cause redeye and ugly shadows: just above and near the lens axis. It's also pretty anemic, not much good beyond 15 or 20 feet. And it much more rapidly drains the camera's battery(ies). And it is slower recycling. And if used for extended shooting, it can overheat and shut down (temporarily, to protect the flash from burning out). That will put an end to shooting while the flash cools down.

Finally, the 7D offers wireless off-camera flash control, that's handled by the built-in flash too. But I use an ST-E2 module instead, because it has more reach and uses near IR light (instead of white light flashes) to communicate with the flash.

And I use various Canon accessory flashes instead of the the built-in... They are considerably more powerful (some with reach upwards of 100 feet, even close to 200), can be put on a flash bracket (using an off-camera shoe cord) to much improve shadows and prevent or at least greatly reduce redeye, have their own batteries (and accessory battery packs) so they don't drain the camera's, recycle a lot faster, and are a bit less prone to overheating & shutting down with extensive use. If the accessory flash shuts down to prevent overheating, all I need to do to continue shooting is switch to a different flash.   

I even wish Canon would make an APS-C camera without any built-in flash. Personally I don't need it and a camera without one would be simpler, might prevent some issues (such as accidental pop-ups or ERR05), and I suspect would or could be better sealed against dust and moisture. I've used several Canon models without  (EOS-3, 5DII and others), as well as many other manufacturers' cameras that didn't have them, and never really missed built-in flashes.

Sure, it can be nice to have a built-in flash right at hand for an emergency... But that's why Canon makes 270EX and similar small flashes, IMO. Get one of these or the larger flashes (430EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT, etc.) and use it... Especially if you also use an off-camera shoe cord and flash bracket to position the flash off to the side and higher, and your flash images will be much nicer looking!

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thank you Alan.... now I feel that I don't have to worry about whether to fix this problem or not....I will just not use the pop-up flash in the futhre.  Your advice was very helpful since I am a truly amateur photographer.  VERY amateur but I am learning more each day.

Thanks again.

William Blasdel, Miami, Fl.

Thank. Lifting the fash and cleaning dust with Dust Off did the trick.

I too lifted the flash while pushing the flash button, cleaned the iside with some compressed air,  and this worked for me too...YEA!!!!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements