cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to buy ?

huskyC
Enthusiast

I have saved up $800 and want to buy  a camera, I want a FF to replace my not so working XTI. family members have some high end models but I wanna have my own . There aren't a lot of options. I can only buy a used one.

For the tight budget, I can only choose among 5D, 5D II or 6D. Some may suggest that APSC cameras are very good nowadays and FF may not be absolutely necessary. I agreed. But I will shoot in low light a lot and I want a larger sensor to gather more light. Also, I like bokeh.

I have access to some EF lenses so I can use all my saving to just buy a camera body.

What's your suggestion ?

10 REPLIES 10

@huskyCwrote:

I have saved up $800 and want to buy  a camera, I want a FF to replace my not so working XTI. family members have some high end models but I wanna have my own . There aren't a lot of options. I can only buy a used one.

For the tight budget, I can only choose among 5D, 5D II or 6D. Some may suggest that APSC cameras are very good nowadays and FF may not be absolutely necessary. I agreed. But I will shoot in low light a lot and I want a larger sensor to gather more light. Also, I like bokeh.

I have access to some EF lenses so I can use all my saving to just buy a camera body.

What's your suggestion ?

Of the three, you want the 6D. The others are just too far in the past. You might have trouble finding parts or getting them repaired. And I think only the 6D's low-light performance would be competitive with that of a recent APS-C camera.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"The others are just too far in the past."

Bob is spot on.  More current is almost always better than FF vs cropper.  Newer, better sensors trumps sensor size.

Eight bills for a good clean used 6D might be a challenge.

I know you have your heart set on a FF but a good used 80D is quite doable for $800.  And, if you parred it with a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens vs the 6D with the standard Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens, low light advantage would be negligible. Plus, IQ would be better with more pixels on subject

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

If you like shallow depth of field and clean high ISO, get the 6D. Full Frame sensors are very good at high ISO and have shallower depth of field than crop cameras.  

The 80D does beat the original 5D in high ISO performance, but the 5D Mk II and 6D are both better than the 80D. 

DPReview confirms it: 6D vs 80D ISO3200 comparison  (use this link to enter any camera and ISO combination)

Or this link:  6D vs 80D

Iso 3200

Clipboard01A.jpg

ISO 12,800

Clipboard02.jpg

Mike Sowsun

6D looks nice in high ISO. With he launch of 6D Mark II, price of the origional version is coming down and it's closer to my target price now. Just have to be a bit patient. 80D is not a bad choice and there are a lot of features taht I like. I need to see more comparisons.

Thanks

What the two replies fail to take into consideration, as is usually the case when you just compare lab tests, is the whole system.  In other words how is the camera going to perform in the real world use?

"...if you parred it with a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens vs the 6D with the standard Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM Lens, low light advantage would be negligible."  The lens has gained you a whole stop improvement in low light work.

Each camera, each with the top-of-the-line lenses is going to give the edge to the 6D. True!  However, you can get a less expensive great lens that is a stop faster than the usual lens people get for the 6D, f2.8 vs f4.  Of course you could buy very best Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens which will give the 6D the lead.  But I assumed that was out of the budget at $1800 bucks.

Better yet look at the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Canon. This lens has gained you more than a stop improvement in low light work. And, it is less than $800 brand new.  Think over the whole system not just lab tests that really are meaningless in real hands on use.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

A "new" 6D is now down to $999 (Canon still wants $1299 for a "reburished" 6D, so that's a bit of a head-scratcher).  

You should have no trouble finding a used camera in good condition for $800.

I sold my 5D II about a year ago but at the time, I determined it was "about the same" as a 6D in terms of sensor performance (I think technically the 6D is fractionally better but this is one of those differences that isn't obvious to the eye).  The 6D can focus in less light and had 11 AF points vs. the 9 on the 5D II.  The 5D II had a better build.

I would not consider a 5D classic. 

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Just to report back that I have today purchased a 6D body with about 4K shutter actuations. The body is very clean with no visible sign of use. LCDs (top and rear are covered with protective guard) The buyer seller gave me two batteries Canon original LP E6. Box and accessories are included. Proof of purchase is available for inspection.

I paid $730 for everything indicated above. Not a bad deal at all.

@huskyCwrote:

Just to report back that I have today purchased a 6D body with about 4K shutter actuations. The body is very clean with no visible sign of use. LCDs (top and rear are covered with protective guard) The buyer gave me two batteries Canon original LP E6. Box and accessories are included. Proof of purchase is available for inspection.

I paid $730 for everything. Not a bad deal at all.

Sounds like you got a good deal.  Check the functionality of all of the rear buttons, especially the disc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Checked and found everything is functional. Smiley Happy

Announcements