cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What the best camera for a baby photograph studio?

Marciadhc
Apprentice

Im going to open a photograph studio that specialize in new born baby´s photography , i need help choosing the best camera for this job. I don´t want to purchase to expend more than $3000.

thanks

MDHC

5 REPLIES 5

trulandphoto
Enthusiast

@Marciadhc wrote:

Im going to open a photograph studio that specialize in new born baby´s photography , i need help choosing the best camera for this job. I don´t want to purchase to expend more than $3000.

thanks

MDHC

Quick, easy answer is a 5D Mark III. Refurbished bodies can be had for under $3,000 You don't mention anything about lenses, however, and whether that purchase also needs to fit in the $3,000. 

Another option would be a 6D which would leave room for a lens purchase within your limit with a sale or refurbished body.

-------------------------------------
http://trulandphoto.zenfolio.com/
http://trulandphoto.blogspot.com/

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I don´t want to purchase to expend more than $3000."

It is not possible to buy the "best" camera for that money! It is, however, easily possible to but a suitable camera and lens for that money.

"... baby photograph studio?"

Is this a hobby? Or is it a real for profit business? That answer may determine whether this is even a good idea without the "best" camera.

A Canon Rebel T5i with the kit lens will take very nice photos of babies. It can be had for well under $3000 bucks. However, it is not a professional camera. So why, as a customer, would I want to come to you if I can get uncle Fred, who has the same camera, take my babies picture for free?

One of the main objectives of a money making studio is to offer the customer something that they can not easily get on their own.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I just had a young lady here ask me the same question. She wants to start a wedding photography studio. I gave her the same answer!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority
You also need lighting.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

amfoto1
Authority

Will you be the only photographer using the gear, or do you plan to hire people to shoot for you?

If hiring people, there are some "special" Canon models designed specifically for studio purposes. For example, there is the "7Ds". Essentially this camera has software-based "locks" that prevent changes to the settings, so that the management can set up the camera and then various photographers can use it, but not access and change important settings. 7D (and 5DII,5DIII) models also have a somewhat uprated shutter: 150,000 clicks (vs. 100,000 on most of the "consumer" models). Not as uprated as the top-of-the-line 1D series (some of which are rated to 300,000 clicks).

Other than that, the lenses you choose will make far more difference to your image, than the camera you choose to use them upon. If you are including the cost of a lens in your budget, that's what you should consider first. If working in a studio with a full set of lighting gear you might select one type of lens, vs what you might need if working with ambient light only.

Is $3000 your budget for the camera body only? Or for the camera with lens(es)? Or for the entire studio setup?

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Announcements