cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

I couldn't say. I only buy used gear with the highest ratings. Most of the time it has been tripods and heads. Only one used camera body, but a few Refurbished bodies and lenses direct from Canon. Highly recommended that you check out the refurb store.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Spending money now on a 40D is really a major setback to when you can buy a 7D."

I see two side to this.  He is right buying a lesser camera today will only delay getting that truly better camera tomorrow.  On the second hand though, how much are you missing by not shooting today?  Your choice?

I'd probably go for the 40D today! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Spending money now on a 40D is really a major setback to when you can buy a 7D."

I see two side to this.  He is right buying a lesser camera today will only delay getting that truly better camera tomorrow.  On the second hand though, how much are you missing by not shooting today?  Your choice? 

I'd probably go for the 40D today! Smiley Happy

Why do you say that?  The OP already has not one, but two obsolete cameras in working order.

I know, I know and you are probably right he should wait.  But he is like me, he just can't!  It's a weakness, I admit.

EB

@Waddizzle wrote:

Why do you say that?  The OP already has not one, but two obsolete cameras in working order.

From what I've read he has borrowed cameras in the past and doesn't have any of his own at this time.

@TTMartin wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

From what I've read he has borrowed cameras in the past and doesn't have any of his own at this time.

That changes things.  If that's the case, find a good one at KEH.  Although, I think for a few more dollars one can do better.  Here's a great package at the Refurbished Store that is currently on sale.  It's the T5 kit with the 18-55mm and 75-300mm lenses.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/rebel-t5-ef-s-18-55mm-is-ii-ef-75-300mm-f-4-56-iii-kit-re...

I think this is the best budget deal thought, the SL-1.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-sl1-18-55-is-stm-lens-kit-refurbished

There is a world of difference between buying obsolete and new.  As time goes on, the older camera becomes more and more out of date with today's computers.  

Correct, right now I do not have any DSLR and I really miss shooting. I want the 40D right now, but at the same time I want the more capable 7D, which is currently out of my budget range. So I am between the two choices, wait and save up, or get back into photography right now.

Ben

Save up.  Like I said earlier, buying something that is not what you really want is good way to spend money on stuff that you will disappoint you.  You will always wonder what the thing you really wanted would be like.  So, you go buy what you really wanted.

In my experience, I usually wound buying what I really wanted down the road, anyway.  The disappointment comes from when you spend a sum of money, and now you can no longer afford to buy what it was that you really wanted.  Don't make that mistake, not ever.  

There are lots of reasons to hesitate on an obsolete camera.  First among them is connecting it to a computer.  The newer ones don't always have the right hardware, and if they do, the are no device drivers in the new Operating Systems that support the old obsolete camera.

Figure out what software you need BEFORE you buy anything, and make sure it can run on whatever computer you use.

I respect your choice of a 40D. It is still a good camera and you can take good pictures with it. The investment is so, so small and if you use it for 2 to 3 years, the cost per month is less than $10.

You can save up enough money to buy a newer camera by then for sure. But whatever camera you plan to buy in a few years will become an (comparatively) obsolete device by then. So just buy whatever you can afford and enjoy shooting now.

There is no problem at all if you have any of the versions of Windows computers (XP to 10) and all these PC/OS detect the 40D without any problem.

I guarantee that the 40D will not disappoint you if you can find a good copy. Match it with a good lens.

Of course, it is your choice. Only you yourself know what is best for you. If you continue to hesitate,you will still be asking for opinion in this thread for the years to come,

"So just buy whatever you can afford and enjoy shooting now."

Ditto.  Smiley Happy Go for it, I would.

EB
Announcements