cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

@TTMartin wrote:

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

At this point I will be monitoring ebay for a good 40D body, and maybe the battery grip with batteries and charger of course.

Ben

My wife found her 40D in the used gear section on Fred Miranda. (just Google it)

The FM interface is a little weird until you sign up and log in you can only search B&H for gear. Once you've logged in to FM you can search the Buy and Sell forum itself. 

Right now they have a decent looking 40D for $150.

edit: they have a couple classic 7D's with battery grips for around $500, and one without a grip for $400,

Do those older cameras, like the 40D and 7D, lock you into adjust exposure in whole stops, and no partial stops?  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

At this point I will be monitoring ebay for a good 40D body, and maybe the battery grip with batteries and charger of course.

Ben

My wife found her 40D in the used gear section on Fred Miranda. (just Google it)

The FM interface is a little weird until you sign up and log in you can only search B&H for gear. Once you've logged in to FM you can search the Buy and Sell forum itself. 

Right now they have a decent looking 40D for $150.

edit: they have a couple classic 7D's with battery grips for around $500, and one without a grip for $400,

Do those older cameras, like the 40D and 7D, lock you into adjust exposure in whole stops, and no partial stops?  

I've never used a 40D, but the 7D lets you adjust in half stops or thirds of a stop.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I bought and sold camera stuff locally and on line. Never have a problem. EBay and PayPal protections are excellent. Any problem with the items, contact the sellers or report to EBay/PayPal, you will get the money back.

If you are just buying a 40D and expect to pay a hundred dollars or little bit more and you are fully protected. What's the risk ? If you buy a low cost old camera and still worry about warranty, you should save up more and buy a new one from Canon directly. Don't forget to save up more to buy extended warranty.

I bought one of my 5D3(s) online and was very happy about the deal. I bought several L lenses from amazon and Canon refurbish store and I still get warranty and paid a lot less.

If you are in my area, contact me and I will spare one of my old cameras for your use for free.

I understand the risks of buying from ebay. What do I gain if I go to KEH and B&H for a used 40D? (They have a few right now.) Does anyone know what kind of testing they do to their cameras? I know they give the warrenty which is good.

Ben

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Both the 40D and 7D allow you to choose 1/3, 1/2, or whole stops.

What I want to know is.............where are the charts to prove what you say?  Surely you have some!  Thanx in advance.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Since I am going with ebay, what are some reputable sellers that you guys could point out?

Ben

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Since I am going with ebay, what are some reputable sellers that you guys could point out?

Ben

I already answered that question.  I think TTMartin suggested a vendor, too.  Direct from Canon, B&H PhotoVideo, Adorama, KEH, not eBay.  You will more than likely than not, get burned on eBay.  I think you're throwing your money away.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
I've been more than satisfied with the used gear I've bought from KEH. eBay has been a mixed bag for me, with some negative experiences. I tend to avoid eBay for camera gear.
Announcements