cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's a good older Canon dslr?

Dragoncamera7
Enthusiast

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

119 REPLIES 119

With my budget range, picking up a 1 series and a external flash isn't feasible. However, in the future I could possibly look into a 1 series, which one I don't know. The 40D, from what I have read will give me good image quality, decent autofocus and a good high iso range. I also like the shutter speed, it's faster than the 450D was using previously. The 40D's I have seen on ebay are decently priced. I've got two lenses so all I need is the body. Some of them have a problem with raising the flash, should I be concerned about that? If I just have to flip it up once in a while that is fine.

Ben

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

With my budget range, picking up a 1 series and a external flash isn't feasible. However, in the future I could possibly look into a 1 series, which one I don't know. The 40D, from what I have read will give me good image quality, decent autofocus and a good high iso range. I also like the shutter speed, it's faster than the 450D was using previously. The 40D's I have seen on ebay are decently priced. I've got two lenses so all I need is the body. Some of them have a problem with raising the flash, should I be concerned about that? If I just have to flip it up once in a while that is fine.

Ben

What two lenses do you have?

Ben,

Bob from Boston and 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

I'm interested in birding, landscape photography and nature shots animals. What is a good older Canon dslr to get? I have used a T1i and 450D and like both. How does the 40D and 20D compare to the 450D? And is it possible to find cheap 1D mark II or 5D mark I? Can these older high models stack up against the newer mid series models?

Thanks,

Ben

The 40D is an excellent camera, and I would choose it over a classic 5D.

The 20D is completely obsolete in my view.

Any Canon dSLR 400D/40D/5D Mk II or newer would make an excellent budget camera. (assuming well cared for with a low shutter count). Look at KEH (EX or better) for quality used gear. 

Personally I would stay away from older 1D series cameras, they take expensive batteries and come with premium pricing. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Thanks,

Ben

Any Canon dSLR 400D/40D/5D Mk II or newer would make an excellent budget camera. (assuming well cared for with a low shutter count). Look at KEH (EX or better) for quality used gear. 

Personally I would stay away from older 1D series cameras, they take expensive batteries and come with premium pricing. 

If you're going to consider a 40D, try to find a 50D; it was a significant improvement. I believe it was the first camera to use Canon's excellent 18MP sensor, which was used in many camera models for several years thereafter.

The 50D was the only camera for which I ever put myself on a pre-release wait list. I've never been sorry I did.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Thanks,

Ben

If you're going to consider a 40D, try to find a 50D; it was a significant improvement. I believe it was the first camera to use Canon's excellent 18MP sensor, which was used in many camera models for several years thereafter.

The 50D was the only camera for which I ever put myself on a pre-release wait list. I've never been sorry I did.

The 50D actually has a 15 megapixel image sensor, the classic 7D was the first with the 18 megapixel sensor.

Both the 40D and 50D are excellent cameras. My first Canon dSLR was the 50D and my daughter still uses it. About 2 years ago when my wife started to get involved with bird photography she purchased a low shutter count 40D. I was impressed on how well it held up when compared to all, but, the most recent Canon dSLRs. That said when I upgraded my 7D to the 7D Mk II my wife started using my classic 7D. However, if we have a guest birding with us, we break out the 40D for them. 

@TTMartin wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

@Dragoncamera7 wrote:

Thanks,

Ben

The 50D actually has a 15 megapixel image sensor, the classic 7D was the first with the 18 megapixel sensor.

Both the 40D and 50D are excellent cameras. My first Canon dSLR was the 50D and my daughter still uses it. About 2 years ago when my wife started to get involved with bird photography she purchased a low shutter count 40D. I was impressed on how well it held up when compared to all, but, the most recent Canon dSLRs. That said when I upgraded my 7D to the 7D Mk II my wife started using my classic 7D. However, if we have a guest birding with us, we break out the 40D for them. 

Tom is quite correct; I was remembering that wrong. My wife and I have three cameras with the 18MP sensor, but the 50D's is 15MP. I got many good pictures with my 50D, some of which still appear from time to time on our Web site at work.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

As I recall, the 50D has the same 15.1 megapxel sensor that is found in the T1i... except on the 50D the camera supports ISO up to 6400 whereas the T1i caps it at 3200.

I had a T1i, but never a 50D.  

Ben, is there a target budget for this camera?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

As I recall, the 50D has the same 15.1 megapxel sensor that is found in the T1i... except on the 50D the camera supports ISO up to 6400 whereas the T1i caps it at 3200.

I had a T1i, but never a 50D.  

Ben, is there a target budget for this camera?

The T1i and 50D has similar 15 MP sensors.

The 50D's sensor had gapless microlenses and the T1i did not.

The 50D's sensor had a 4 channel readout and the T1i's sensor had a 2 channel read out.

A T2i is the oldest and cheapest body that gets you into that 18mp sensor they then recycled over and over and over in all the Rebels until the last one to two, and also in the 60d and 7d1. Other than a tilt screen I don't think there is much real difference in features and performance between T2i and T5i. 

That said, in used bodies I don't know how much price difference there is between T2i, T3i, and T4i. If it was only a difference of like $25.00 or so I'd go for a newer model over an older one. 

Try Craigslist for lower used camera prices than big camera retailers or eBay.  Retailers and eBay both get a lot of potential buyers so they can find someone to pay a high price for a quick click purchase.  Craigslist sellers have a much smaller local market to sell in and if you are willing to go meet someone in a safe public place, you can inspect the item and size up the seller (original owner or the last in a long line?) and without a million rival buyers contending for the same camera you can probably get a cheap price. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
Announcements