cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lense

Samuel_
Contributor

I have a canon 60d and I need to get a wide lense that's good for filming and photography and help ?

Also with a good zoom .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"I need something that shows a wide angle etc like I said !"

Sam the Man, Smiley Happy

Good and cheap are rarely used in the same sentence.  Pick one!  My choice for you would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  You said you are on a 60D?  That will be a great lens for you but it is pricey so you might want to check used sources or the refurb store.

Most of the time your 50mm prime is a poor choice as it is a specialized lens compared to a zoom.  There are few reasons to choose a prime lens anymore.

I don't do video. I am a stills photographer but the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens should fill the video need quite well.

It will do landscapes and general photography with the best of them.  Win, win!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

JoshPhotography
Contributor

I would always recommend the Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 OS. It was the lens I bought with my 60D and I still use it for walk about shooting instead of a 24-70 F2.8 just because of size. Also, great macro functionality...

The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM is designed as an upgrade to the ef-s 18-55mm kit lens that come with many Rebels.  Do you really think it is an acceptable substitute for the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II ?  I am just curious about your thoughts.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM is designed as an upgrade to the ef-s 18-55mm kit lens that come with many Rebels.  Do you really think it is an acceptable substitute for the ef 24-70mm f2.8L II ?  I am just curious about your thoughts.

But Josh didn't say that the Sigma is a better lens than the Canon 24-70. He said he considers it a better walking around lens. I haven't used either lens, but I think he makes a valid point. The Canon is big and heavy. Really it's an indoor event lens or a high-resolution landscape lens, not a walker.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

"I haven't used either lens, ..."

What?  How do you know then?

"The Canon is big and heavy."

Yes it is bigger and a little heavier than the Siggy but look what you get in exchange.  The best 24-70mm made. A constant aperture, not variable.  Did I mention the best zoom lens of its kind made.  The SIggy is an upgraded 'kit' lens.

Bob from Boston you must be getting old in your old age. Maybe 3/4 of a pound difference.  I carry it on a 1 series almost every day of my life for hours.  I carried the old version before that. When you consider everything in total, it is the best lens I have ever had or used.  And believe me that is a statement.

EB

Yeah I changed my mind, I definately would recommend a £1500 lens to someone wanting a WIDE, CHEAP walkabout on a 60D (crop) so this 38-112mm equivalent is definately the right choice...

"I definately would recommend a £1500 lens to someone wanting a WIDE, CHEAP walkabout ..."

It isn't recommending I took issue with.  It is the comparing.  I hope your choice of the Sigma will fulfill your needs.  SIgma makes very nice lenses. I have several and they are great.  But nothing Sigma makes is in the same league as the Canon ef 24-70 f2.8L II. In Sigma's defence, however, no other lens is either.

EB

Missing my point entirely. I have both lenses, I work with my 24-70 but when I'm going for a day out I take my 60D with the sigma because its small and still great. I would never recommend the 24-70 for his purposes both because of the price and the fact its not very wide on a crop sensor. I just mentioned it as a frame of reference; as in, I own both, I think the sigma is still good for his purposes...

JoshPhotography
Contributor

Yeah, when I'm working 24-70 everytime, if I'm going out somewhere I stick the siggy on the 60D and it doesn't get in the way and gives me great results.

Announcements