cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What lense

Samuel_
Contributor

I have a canon 60d and I need to get a wide lense that's good for filming and photography and help ?

Also with a good zoom .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

"I need something that shows a wide angle etc like I said !"

Sam the Man, Smiley Happy

Good and cheap are rarely used in the same sentence.  Pick one!  My choice for you would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  You said you are on a 60D?  That will be a great lens for you but it is pricey so you might want to check used sources or the refurb store.

Most of the time your 50mm prime is a poor choice as it is a specialized lens compared to a zoom.  There are few reasons to choose a prime lens anymore.

I don't do video. I am a stills photographer but the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens should fill the video need quite well.

It will do landscapes and general photography with the best of them.  Win, win!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Bob from Boston,

My take on the Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Lens is most of the next level zoom lens is usually a 24-70mm.  So in that respect 35mm is somewhat redundant?  I really struggled with the idea of buying a Tokina. They have such a poor record in QC and CS.  Get a good one and I guess it is a good one!  This Tokina seems well built and has a decent warranty if it is to be honored?

Having never owned a ef 16-35mm I am not the best person to ask how good the Tokina compares.  But I do have friends with them.  They have told me the Tokona is as good.  I do have the ef 17-40mm f4 which I love.  The Tokina matches pretty well against it so there you are.

I have been told by my one Nikon bud that the Tokina brand-N model bests the Nikkor version which is three times the price.  But that isn't too surprising, to me at least.  True Nikkor's are very expensive for what you get.  No wonder Canon eats Nikon's lunch.

"... does the shorter zoom range give the Tokina noticeably less WA distortion?"

All WA in this class exhibit distortion.  The Tokina is well controlled especially for its price point.

"...  hard to tell whether he wants a true WA or just a walkaround zoom ..."

Yes it is but I have had the Tokina on a FF camera for a couple weeks now and it is working well. I actually like it very much (the zoom range).

I am not ready to say it is a lens I can recommed but so far it is pretty impressive.  I think you have to limit yourself to the Pro FX series if you desire a Tokina lens (MHO, of course).

EB

"Yes it is but I have had the Tokina on a FF camera for a couple weeks now and it is working well. I actually like it very much (the zoom range).

If you wanted to do an AFMA with it, does the camera recognize the lens by model number?  Or, is it anonymous?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm new to photography/videography and I am not good with all the these technical terms, I'm looking for a good lense that fits on my 60d good for fast moving and tripod filming also good with general picture of landscapes, with a decent zoom. I am buying second hand due to having a small budget and I am a beginner learning to develop, any suggestions ?

@Samuel_ wrote:
I'm new to photography/videography and I am not good with all the these technical terms, I'm looking for a good lense that fits on my 60d good for fast moving and tripod filming also good with general picture of landscapes, with a decent zoom. I am buying second hand due to having a small budget and I am a beginner learning to develop, any suggestions ?

Yes: Accept the fact that you probably won't be able to do what you say you want to do with the knowledge and experience that you say you have. Do a lot of reading; google the technical terms you don't understand; possibly attend a course or lectures at your local community college or adult education center. You have to go through the learning process, or better equipment won't help you much. You might as well stick to a cell phone camera.

We're all still learning, and all of us (in this forum anyway) think it's worth the effort.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Samuel_
Contributor
I am only looking for a lens because the lens that came with the camera was a 50mm lens and it's very zoomed in. I need something that shows a wide angle etc like I said !

"I need something that shows a wide angle etc like I said !"

Sam the Man, Smiley Happy

Good and cheap are rarely used in the same sentence.  Pick one!  My choice for you would be the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  You said you are on a 60D?  That will be a great lens for you but it is pricey so you might want to check used sources or the refurb store.

Most of the time your 50mm prime is a poor choice as it is a specialized lens compared to a zoom.  There are few reasons to choose a prime lens anymore.

I don't do video. I am a stills photographer but the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens should fill the video need quite well.

It will do landscapes and general photography with the best of them.  Win, win!

EB

What are the bits on the bottom ??

"EOS 1Ds Mk III, EOS 1D Mk IV, EF 50mm f1.2L, EF 24-70mm f2.8L II,
EF 85mm f1.2L II USM, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II,
Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 EX APO, Sigma 150-600mm Sport,
Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.1, Lightroom 6.3"

That is a "signature".  It is some of my stuff I really like to use.  You can make one for yourself and post it on your messages.

It is gear I use all the time and highly recommend.  Most of the folks you get replies from have never even touched the things they recommend to you or anyone.  Can you imagine?  I either own, rent or know friends with the gear I recommend.

EB

Oh that's very nice of you, thanks for all the help one last thing could you link me to a YouTube video or a review with samples of pictures and video of that lens please. Thanks in advance .

"...  could you link me to a YouTube video ..."

I believe that violates the rules of the forum.  But you should have no problem finding a ton of stuff about that lens.  It is very popular.

EB
Announcements